Dhamma club on campus?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
dhamma savaka

Dhamma club on campus?

Post by dhamma savaka »

Hi folks,

I work for a University and was a student there several years ago. Our campus lacks a Buddhist/Dhamma club. There are tons of Christian groups, a Jewish group, and a Muslim group. I don't know how feasible or useful it would be to organize such a club and keep it running? I figured it might be a good group to organize Buddhist events or meditate together. I am already part of the Meditation club but it's not the same. It would also be a good group to have discussions on the Dhamma and maybe get non-Buddhists interested as well. The problem is, I don't even know where to start and if there are even like minded individuals or if other Buddhists just want to be left alone.

I would like the organization to be organized along the Venerable Walpola Rahula's "Basic Points Unifying the Theravada and the Mahayana" document (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Poin ... 1y%C4%81na" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Do you think this would work? Or is it too broad? Is it a worthwhile effort? The other thing I need to factor in is that it seems a lot of young people aren't too interested in this type of stuff.

Please let me know what you folks think.

:anjali:

Al
Cittasanto

Re: Dhamma club on campus?

Post by Cittasanto »

We do not believe that this world is created and ruled by a God.
well as Ajahn Chah said to Ajahn Sumedho, "they maybe right" with a sly smile!

Why not just a simple meditation group with an emphasis/orientation towards Buddhism?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Dhamma Savaka

You may wish to contact Zavk (a member here) who has started a group at a university here in Australia for tips and for how he got his group going. Also, I know thereductor also got a group going in his community.

If it were me - I would keep it really simple and focus on stuff that I would like in a group. Perhaps a focus on meditation with perhaps listening to a podcast of a short dhamma talk afterwards with or without discussion following it. I also think an important aspect of a group should be the informal social at the end so practitioners can get to know each other. As you get a bit of momentum and interest you could then tailor the group a bit more to what people need/want.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

dhamma savaka wrote:Hi folks,

I work for a University and was a student there several years ago. Our campus lacks a Buddhist/Dhamma club. There are tons of Christian groups, a Jewish group, and a Muslim group. I don't know how feasible or useful it would be to organize such a club and keep it running? I figured it might be a good group to organize Buddhist events or meditate together. I am already part of the Meditation club but it's not the same. It would also be a good group to have discussions on the Dhamma and maybe get non-Buddhists interested as well. The problem is, I don't even know where to start and if there are even like minded individuals or if other Buddhists just want to be left alone.

I would like the organization to be organized along the Venerable Walpola Rahula's "Basic Points Unifying the Theravada and the Mahayana" document (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Poin ... 1y%C4%81na" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Do you think this would work? Or is it too broad? Is it a worthwhile effort? The other thing I need to factor in is that it seems a lot of young people aren't too interested in this type of stuff.

Please let me know what you folks think.

Al
Some years back a friend and myself revived a Buddhist club on campus. It was extremely worthwhile.

We promoted it at Orientation, held two meetings a week, one focused on meditation and another on study and invited many teachers to come and speak to us. We also organised retreats, did working bees at temples, etc.

After the first year we had a core of committed members and 7 years on, I am very good friends with three of the people I met through this club, all still practicing (one sort of fledgling).

The Ven Rahula's paper is a good start. We tried to keep it strictly non sectarian and invited teachers from all traditions while personally people went to different places in their spare time too.

I think it is important to have a few people who are willing to do the legwork to keep it running but not take over too much. Once people show interest they should feel empowered to help out and feel that it is their club rather than yours and their are merely guests. It's also important not to become a de facto guru, but rather a convenor or a facilitator.

If there is anything I can do to help - feel free to ask.
_/|\_
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Many of the universities in Australia have Buddhist societies, and even an organisation uniting them. They could probably give you some good points.
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

This person asked a similar question, so this thread might be of help:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ity#p77864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
dhamma savaka

Post by dhamma savaka »

Thank you all so much for the info! This is really helpful!

Al