What music are you listening to right now?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Post by Ben »

Thank you, Louise!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Discovered Margot Reisinger over the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTZdR04n ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even my son seems to enjoy. :)
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
sattva

Post by sattva »

http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
sattva

Post by sattva »

http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

The Orb, "Metal Spheres" ("featuring David Gilmour"). This isn't a combination I would have expected. The Orb makes what gets called "ambient" music. David Gilmour is known for playing guitar for Pink Floyd. I find the album pleasantly amusing somehow. The album has two tracks ("Metal" and "Spheres") but not even a clear break between them.

Fig Tree
David2

Post by David2 »

SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi »

This was my favourite song last year. Even though it did not come out last year, I gave it that title because it was so good. I really like all of her music.

"An inward-staying
unentangled knowing,
All outward-going knowing
cast aside."
--Upasika Kee Nanayon
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Bye Horus- Strange Balloons Mount Toward Infinity

Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Ben

Post by Ben »

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben

Post by Ben »

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks for the Leondard Cohen tracks, Ben. My partner sometimes says "put on the old guy", referring to the DVD of a couple of years ago... :tongue:

She does appreciate "My Wife's Home Town", though...
http://lyrics.url.com/show/3718/bob-dyl ... own-lyrics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mojvideo.com/video-bob-dylan ... 971b63810e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But, back to Leonard. Unfortunately this video (from Toronto) leaves out the intro: "This is for Lenny, ... if he's still here" and the first verse...

Cool to see Scarlet Rivera on violin, T-Bone Burnett making faces, post-Bowie Mick Ronson, and a ninteen-year old David Mansfield hanging out behind Sarlet... Now if I only still had a VHS player I could dig out the whole of Renaldo and Clara...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Thunder_Revue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Mike.
The new Cohen album "Old Ideas" is good. Very worthwhile! I purchased it for $12 on CDWow and it was here within a week.
The DVD must be of the London Concert?? I've got the CD of that and its near-identical duplicate of his concert in Melbourne which I attended.
My Wife's Home Town: what a brilliant song! I love it!
Great video of Bob doing Isis. It looks like the same hat he is wearing on the cover of Desire. That face paint - what on earth was he thinking?

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Ben,

Yes, I think it's the London DVD.

In the context of the whole Rolling Thunder Revue thing it does make some sense... Kind of. Sam Shepard, who Bob invited to hang out on the tour, along with Allen Ginsberg, writes in his book about the tour: Rolling Thunder Logbook
http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Thunder-L ... 0306813718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that the cocaine came in duffel bags... (Not that I'd recommend that sort of behaviour...).

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I picked up the DVD Miles Davis, Live at Montreaux Highlights 1973-1991 a few weeks ago, and Jo Jo is one of the real highlights from 1989 (The video above is actually from a different festival).

Davis is 63, with a band of hot-shot musicians mostly less than half his age. The thing I love here is his face-to-face hand-on-shoulder interaction with Foley McCreary (playing a bass strung with guitar strings). Davis' bands weren't just a case of "take your turn to solo", this is direct transmission from master and student...

I saw this band at around that time in Hong Kong. Which was great, but unfortunately at the time I had little appreciation that I was seeing one of the geniuses of the 20th Century...

:anjali:
Mike