Earliest Buddhist Teaching

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
xmp333

Earliest Buddhist Teaching

Post by xmp333 »

Hi,

I am interested in the earliest exposition of Buddhist philosophy/religion in general. That is,
what have scholars dated as the earliest text that exposits Buddhism as a whole, as opposed to
a handling of a specific circumstance (like death)?

I'm interested in a single teaching and not a corpus. It need not go into detail either.

If no such thing exists (due to fragmentary texts), are there any proposed reconstructions?

Links to the (English) texts would be greatly appreciated.

I have done some web searches, but am unsure if the results are correct, especially given the more
recent Gandharan finds.

Thanks in Advance!
Prasadachitta

Re: Earliest Buddhist Teaching

Post by Prasadachitta »

xmp333 wrote:Hi,

I am interested in the earliest exposition of Buddhist philosophy/religion in general. That is,
what have scholars dated as the earliest text that exposits Buddhism as a whole, as opposed to

I'm interested in a single teaching and not a corpus. It need not go into detail either.

If no such thing exists (due to fragmentary texts), are there any proposed reconstructions?

I have done some web searches, but am unsure if the results are correct, especially given the more
recent Gandharan finds.

Thanks in Advance!
I cant confirm this but I have been told that the following two suttas were found in a clay pot written on bark and are among some of the oldest actual copies of suttas. In addition I understand that the Sutta Nipata in general has some of the most accurately preserved texts based on the linguistic style. I am not a scholar so if anyone here knows better than me please chime in.

Prasadachitta

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Also check out Bhikkhu Bodhi's wonderful lectures series on Sutta Nipata at:

http://bodhimonastery.org/sutta-nipata.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

The Sutta Nipata book of 8's is thought to be old, but I do not know about the earliest.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

xmp333 wrote:Hi,

recent Gandharan finds.

Thanks in Advance!
Doing a school paper? I don't think you'll find a Cliff's Notes survey of your wish list. K.R. Norman has covered some of the ground you mention, below is a series of his lectures which may help, but I doubt there is Q of the Buddha's teachings to be found.

A Philological Approach to Buddhism by K.R. Norman
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chronology of Pali Canon

I have heard that the language of the Anguttara Nikaya and Sutta Nipata makes it appear to be the oldest known teachings.

British Museum Scrolls
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

xmp333 wrote:If no such thing exists (due to fragmentary texts), are there any proposed reconstructions?
It occurred to me with reference to this part of your request that you may be interested in Venerable Ajahn Sujato's GIST (General Integrated Sutta Theory) mentioned in Chapter 2 of A History of Mindfulness.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
Alexei

Post by Alexei »

David N. Snyder wrote:Chronology of Pali Canon
There are some improvements to this list:
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebsut053.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Alexei wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:Chronology of Pali Canon
There are some improvements to this list:
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebsut053.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...and improvements again with respect to the dates of the parinibbana and some other events.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
zippymarmalade

Re: Earliest Teaching: British Library scrolls

Post by zippymarmalade »

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... um_Scrolls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is it said the scrolls are in the British Museum, London. They are actually held in the British Library, London.
It would be useful if somebody with the necessary level of permission can edit the WIKI page as the present information is not correct.

Here is a link to one of the Library's publications
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Dm8a ... milarbooks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!