Who was Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanno?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Who was Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanno?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Although I've not heard of this bhikkhu before, his writings make for interesting reading.

http://www.knowbuddhism.info/search/lab ... hippapanno" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know anything about him?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Re: Who is Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanno?

Post by cooran »

Hello Retro,

He died in November 2008:
http://sati-metta.blogspot.com/2008/12/ ... rable.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,

Thanks... I managed to glean from that link that he was a teacher in the Thai Forest tradition.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Many of his talks are available (only Thai) as videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/watsanfran" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He emphasises the use of panya and investigation more than samadhi, which sets him apart from the other Dhammayut Ajahns.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Thanks bhante.

Metta,
retrofuturist

Re: Who was Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanno?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Cool... I was just flicking through my pile of unread Dhamma Books and realised that one that I bought 2nd hand for $2 is actually by Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanno.

:twothumbsup:

Metta,
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Retro,

What's the book named? And have you had a quick look yet?

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,

It seems to be online here...

Beyond The Stream Of The World
http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Beyo ... hippapanno" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

It was quite a good read and definitely in line with venerable Gavesako's assessment of his teaching style.

Metta,
Anandapanyo

Post by Anandapanyo »

Paul Davy wrote:Greetings,

Although I've not heard of this bhikkhu before, his writings make for interesting reading.

http://www.knowbuddhism.info/search/lab ... hippapanno" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know anything about him?

Metta,
I know I am late to the party, but my family and I studied Dhamma practice with Acariya Thoon since 1999 and have been faithful followers of him ever since. I attended his cremation ceremony along with 500,000 other people and we all witnessed his remains become relics. It was a miraculous event. I was so affected by his passing that I ordained five months later on his birthday (May 20) and have been a monk ever since. I have since traveled the world teaching Acariya Thoon's wisdom based contemplation style and have learned a lot myself in my journey. My sister and I have also translated many of his books and are working on translating more.

I would be happy to answer any questions about Acariya Thoon Khippapanyo if anyone has any.
The knot that is attachment was tied by us using Wrong Views. Therefore, the know must be untied by us in the opposite fashion to how we tied it, but using: Right View.

A lesson I learned from my Venerable Master Acariya Thoon Khippapanyo
bodom

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 am Greetings Chris,

It seems to be online here...

Beyond The Stream Of The World
http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Beyo ... hippapanno" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Hey Retro,

I was wondering where you were able to find this book? I am trying to find a physical copy to buy but can only find one on Amazon for $56 !!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
bodom wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 pm I was wondering where you were able to find this book? I am trying to find a physical copy to buy but can only find one on Amazon for $56 !!
I can't remember now to be honest! I'll try to remember to dig out my archival box of Dhamma books next time I'm at home and see if I can work it out.

Metta,
Paul. :)
bodom

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm Greetings,
bodom wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 pm I was wondering where you were able to find this book? I am trying to find a physical copy to buy but can only find one on Amazon for $56 !!
I can't remember now to be honest! I'll try to remember to dig out my archival box of Dhamma books next time I'm at home and see if I can work it out.

Metta,
Thanks man appreciate it. I recently came across another one of his books in my collection that I had forgotten about and as you said he defintely makes for some interesting reading. Trying to track down this copy now.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Anandapanyo,
Anandapanyo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:54 pm I know I am late to the party, but my family and I studied Dhamma practice with Acariya Thoon since 1999 and have been faithful followers of him ever since. I attended his cremation ceremony along with 500,000 other people and we all witnessed his remains become relics. It was a miraculous event. I was so affected by his passing that I ordained five months later on his birthday (May 20) and have been a monk ever since. I have since traveled the world teaching Acariya Thoon's wisdom based contemplation style and have learned a lot myself in my journey. My sister and I have also translated many of his books and are working on translating more.

I would be happy to answer any questions about Acariya Thoon Khippapanyo if anyone has any.
... and I realise I'm late to respond, but you mention having translated many of his books. Are these available online anywhere?

Metta,
binocular

Post by binocular »

I was curious, so I looked up the books:
http://traderoption.org/book/1227962637 ... apanyo.pdf (requires registration, free)

http://www.dhammatalks.net/ (scroll down)
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!