New New

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Kevin

New New

Post by Kevin »

Hello to all:
A little about me I live in the northeast of the United States, my wife and I became vegataren in October last year,While in our local library looking for a book on being a vegataren, I spotted a book by His Hollenes on compassion. I finished it and wanted to learn more. Many online books, and the web site ATI. Now here. Thank you :buddha2:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: New New

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

I'm a vegetarian too. I think you'll find that although Buddhism doesn't require vegetarianism, it is certainly compatible with it. And many Buddhists do choose a vegetarian/vegan diet. Here is a thread devoted to this issue:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here are some articles and websites I have on this issue:

http://www.veggiebuddhists.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.buddha316.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vegetarianism and Buddhism
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel! :group:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Welcome Aboard!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Noah

Post by Noah »

Great, I found the site Access to Insight from a Buddhist friend about 7 years ago and have referenced it much ever since. I am new here as well and am glad to see the site is active and growing :)
Evil is caused by and is the cause of future suffering, abandon at all costs! Cultivate virtuous qualities and live the happy life! Just as all wise human endeavors, from Physics to Philosophy, approach the Dhamma; be fearless in your reverence for it- The time for the True Law is yet to dawn in the west!! :D
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Kevin!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Howdy! Good to meet you, Kevin. :)
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. The
Kevin
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Kevin and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
vidar

Post by vidar »

Welcome Kevin!
All the world is on fire, All the world is burning, All the world is ablaze, All the world is quaking. That which does not quake or blaze, That to which worldlings do not resort, Where there is no place for Mara:That is where my mind delights. (SN 5.7)

By degrees, little by little,
from moment to moment,
the wise purify themselves,
as a smith purifies silver.
—Dhammapada 239