Higher power

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
greggorious

Higher power

Post by greggorious »

Hi there, I'm thinking of going back into AA again as I keep relapsing back into drinking. I've tried various methods but they don't seem to last for that long.
As far as the first step goes, I don't mind admitting powerlessness over alcohol, as I see it, my ego is powerless over many things. However I don't know what to do about a higher power. In AA literature it's more than obvious they are talking about God. Plus I have spoken to Buddhists before who say there is no higher power other than your own Buddha nature, some even say that AA is completely against Buddhist principles.
I'm not suggesting you give me a higher power, I just don't know what to make of it.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: Higher power

Post by bodom »

I highly recommend checking this book out!

A Burning Desire: Dharma God and the Path of Recovery
A Burning Desire is a gift for those who struggle with the Twelve Step program’s focus on the need to surrender to a Higher Power. Taking a radical departure from traditional views of God, Western or Eastern, author Kevin Griffin neither accepts Christian beliefs in a Supreme Being nor Buddhist non-theism, but rather forges a refreshing, sensible, and accessible Middle Way. Griffin shows how the Dharma, the teachings of the Buddha, can be understood as a Higher Power. Karma, mindfulness, impermanence, and the Eightfold Path itself are revealed as powerful forces that can be accessed through meditation and inquiry.

http://www.amazon.com/Burning-Desire-Dh ... 1401923216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
David2

Post by David2 »

some even say that AA is completely against Buddhist principles.
I think this is wrong, AA does not go against Buddhist principles at all and it can be helpful for people.
I've tried various methods but they don't seem to last for that long.
Did you try practicing daily meditation for some time?

Going to AA is very good, but practicing meditation is also important in my opinion.
bodom

Post by bodom »

David2 wrote:Going to AA is very good, but practicing meditation is also important in my opinion.
Its also part of the 12 steps:
Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Thanks for your replies. I'll check out that book bodom, thanks.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

A Buddhist’s Non-Theist 12 Steps:

We admitted our addictive craving over alcohol, and recognized its consequences in our lives.

Came to believe that a power other than self could restore us to wholeness.

Made a decision to go for refuge to this other power as we understood it.

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

Admitted to ourselves and another human being the exact moral nature of our past.

Became entirely ready to work at transforming ourselves.

With the assistance of others and our own firm resolve, we transformed unskillful aspects of ourselves and cultivated positive ones.

Made a list of all persons we had harmed.

Made direct amends to such people where possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. In addition, made a conscientious effort to forgive all those who harmed us.

Continue to maintain awareness of our actions and motives, and when we acted unskillfully promptly admitted it.

Engaged through the practice of meditation to improve our conscious contact with our true selves, and seeking that beyond self. Also used prayer as a means to cultivate positive attitudes and states of mind.

Having gained spiritual insight as a result of these steps, we practice these principles in all areas of our lives, and make this message available to others in need of recovery.

from http://realisticrecovery.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

when I looked into over eaters anonymous I came into this little debate as well.. I've read that some may use the dhamma itself as the higher power..
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

There is an alternative to AA, called Smart Recovery, but I've seen AA work for Buddhists too.

Higher power is what is perceived to be beyond the ego, which is a great deal! You can call it your Buddha nature since you already like that notion or your emergent new and better adjusted self. You can even see it as your refuge in the Triple Gem.
_/|\_
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Dan74 wrote: You can even see it as your refuge in the Triple Gem.
Others have suggested this in similar threads here in the past, and it makes sense to me.

:namaste:
Kim
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Thanks for your replies :)
AvaLily

Post by AvaLily »

I am in AA but they don't know am Buddhist ...i have only just started to go there
i think i will check out that book too
Yana

Post by Yana »

greggorious wrote:Hi there, I'm thinking of going back into AA again as I keep relapsing back into drinking. I've tried various methods but they don't seem to last for that long.
As far as the first step goes, I don't mind admitting powerlessness over alcohol, as I see it, my ego is powerless over many things. However I don't know what to do about a higher power. In AA literature it's more than obvious they are talking about God. Plus I have spoken to Buddhists before who say there is no higher power other than your own Buddha nature, some even say that AA is completely against Buddhist principles.
I'm not suggesting you give me a higher power, I just don't know what to make of it.
Try seeing the higher power as yourself...the infinite possibility that you can achieve..i mean sometimes i believe in every good thing i know...from God to angel to inspirational people and moments.. just to give me enough strength to do something and after i do it i let it go knowing that that was all me...i took that step..i made it happen!

okay maybe you can try this also... :hug:
Life is preparing for Death
AvaLily

Post by AvaLily »

Yana wrote:
greggorious wrote:Hi there, I'm thinking of going back into AA again as I keep relapsing back into drinking. I've tried various methods but they don't seem to last for that long.
Try seeing the higher power as yourself...the infinite possibility that you can achieve..i mean sometimes i believe in every good thing i know...from God to angel to inspirational people and moments.. just to give me enough strength to do something and after i do it i let it go knowing that that was all me...i took that step..i made it happen!

okay maybe you can try this also... :hug:
I cant see myself as a higher power because i have low self esteem and dont think of myself in that way at all ...so am unsure about myself as my higher power
so am unsure what to have as my higher power ... apart from my dad i think he could be my higher power ...yet am unsure if that is ok with buddhism
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

greggorious there is an alternative to the 12-step Program model called Life-Ring Secular Recovery: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeRing_Secular_Recovery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://lifering.org/find-meetings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Yana wrote:Try seeing the higher power as yourself...
I don't think this would jive with with the "self-will run riot" principle in AA.
Goodwill
Daniel