Preparing for a short self-guided meditation retreat

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
retrofuturist

Preparing for a short self-guided meditation retreat

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

In just over a week, I'm going to be staying at a Theravada vihara from the Friday night, through until early Monday afternoon. I'll be staying in the meditation hut, and there will be the abbot there at the vihara too... but I'm not sure if there are any other resident bhikkhus there. The abbot says that a lunch meal will be provided (presumably by the Sri Lankan lay followers, when he eats before noon) and that I should take some warm, comfortable clothes and a sleeping bag. My goal for the trip is simply to work on the Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration aspects of my practice, so as to hopefully develop some wisdom, erode some defilements and help increase my 'mindfulness habits'.

So, I wanted to get some input from people, based on their experiences, on what I should take, what should I do by way of formalities (request refuge etc.), and what should I do by way of daily timetable, and meditation?

My "plan of attack" would be to arrive on the Friday night, discuss arrangements with the abbot, find out what his upcoming daily schedule is like so I can work around that. I also plan to give dana at some stage before I'm gone (should I do that straight away?). He only eats one meal a day, so in readiness for the morning, I'll take some 'breakfast bars' because although I intend to keep to the eight precepts whilst I'm there, I don't think I can do a single meal a day.

By way of meditation subjects, on the Saturday I'd like to start with anapanasati until maybe early-afternoon and then kick off into satipatthana. On Sunday, maybe just an hour of anapanasati, before heading off into satipatthana territory. Then on Monday, satipatthana only, until my family comes to pick me up around 2 o'clock.

Some of the satipatthana will involve walking meditation as I doubt my ability to sit for extended periods of time exceeding a few hours.

Anyway, that's it... just thought I'd throw that all out there, and see if anyone had any ideas or suggestions to contribute. I'm sure it will all be fine, it's just that I don't get the opportunity to go on retreat very often, so I want to maximise the benefit from it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ngawang Drolma.

Re: Preparing for a short self-guided meditation retreat

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Dear Retro,

Though I don't have any advice for you, I'm happy for you that you have this opportunity.
I have heard though, that when you meet privately with the abbot you can lay a plain envelope with dana in it on a desk or anyplace in the office area (as opposed to handing it directly to him).

I hope it goes well!

:anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Drolma,

Yep, the dana will be in an envelope... I've given him cash in an envelope before.

He seems OK about accepting the envelope... particularly if he needs to write out a tax receipt for it.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Dear Retro,

Cool! For me, when I once requested a private refuge ceremony from a Geshe I gave some extra dana for his trouble, too.

I'll be making dedications for your efforts!

:buddha2:
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hi Retro,

Good on you! I hope the retreat goes well.

As for the daily schedule, wouldn't the abbot give you some instructions? If not, perhaps you could follow the schedules used by other Dhamma/retreat centres. You should be able to find some on Google. I've seen some that include both sitting and walking. (And don't forget you need rest periods as well!)

I'd reckon the best time to give dana is towards the end of your retreat--after you have spent some time clearing the space in your heart-mind to give with the best volition.
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Received from venerable Appicchato via PM, shared with permission on the basis it may be of interest to others.
Venerable Appicchato wrote:Hi Paul,

Good for you...I'll be thinking of you...

Your 'plan' sounds copacetic to me...what comes to mind at the moment is:

No books, ipods, or the like...a phone is all right for an alarm (or meditation timer), and in case your family needs to get a hold of you...but no calls...

When you arrive and go to see the abbot, bow to the Buddha first, and then the abbot...when done talking with him bow to him first and then the Buddha last...

Request taking refuge and the eight precepts...

Depending on what your giving as Dana, if it's possible split it...something when you first meet, and something when you leave...not a big deal though...either way...

You've previously noted that you don't meditate all that much...I wouldn't push it too hard...there's a lot to said for just being quiet, contemplative, and mindful...enjoy those aspects as well...

Could be just me, but I wouldn't concern myself too much with 'maximum benefit'...you're setting yourself up for disappointment if it doesn't go according to your 'plan'...just relax, and enjoy the experience...that's where the 'benefit' will be...

Remember that this is just my take...some of the more 'hard core' might not agree...

Fare well friend...

A
Metta,
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

Thank you for the excellent advice.

No need for any concern on the "maximum benefit" side... I just want to do the right thing, practice correctly, and let the fruits of practice take care of themselves. I will not be practicing with any end in mind. If I start thinking along those lines, I'll gently bring mindfulness back to where it should be. Or to quote Sayadaw U Tejaniya...
Don’t have any expectations,
don’t want anything,
don’t be anxious, because
if these attitudes are in your mind,
it becomes difficult to meditate.
http://sayadawutejaniya.org/teachings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for bows to the abbot, should they be of a slight tilt :anjali: , or full head at the feet, or somewhere inbetween? I want to be respectful, but don't want it to seem false and forced and therefore interpreted as insincere.

Metta,
Paul. :)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings zavk,
zavk wrote:As for the daily schedule, wouldn't the abbot give you some instructions?
I assume not, but if he gives recommendations I'll be prepared to take them on board.

Metta,
phalanyani

Post by phalanyani »

Hi Retro,

as for the bows: depends on where you meet him. anjali and a nod deep enough that the forehead touches your thumbs is adequate when you meet him somewhere around in the temple. For report or occasions when you meet with him in the Buddhahall or for eating, the full 5 point prostration with hands, elbows and forehead to the ground.

for the dana, maybe he has an attendent who takes care about money affairs, ask, if he doesn't have one, give him a chance to tell you in vage words where to put the money, but don't just put it somewhere thinking he may take it later.

there is nothing to add to what appicchato said. Maybe this: Good to have strict plans but give them up when they become a hindrance.
May you have some deep insights to the true nature of things, be mindful
phalanyani
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

If you get sluggish, do long walking meditations, or "sit" standing up with your eyes wide open
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Retro,

You already have some great advice, especially from Venerable Appicchato, and I can't think of anything to add, so I'll just wish you a good retreat. :anjali:

Metta
Mike
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Hello Retro,

Best wishes for a successful retreat! :anjali:

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I'd suggest this: Don't go in with expectations, do smile, don't worry. fwiw.

Metta
:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Thanks everyone!

Metta,
Ben

Post by Ben »

All the best with your retreat, Retro!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi retro,
good luck.

the one meal a day is surprisingly easy, but as for your timetable try looking on the various forest sangha monestaries websites they tend to show an aproximate timetable, also there is one on Buddha net in the meditation section which you may like to have a look at? I have found alternating walking and sitting practice from the start is best for me due to my knee.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill