The Secular Buddhist

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Spiny O'Norman

Re: The Secular Buddhist

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Sanghamitta wrote:I think whatever label we apply to ourselves, secular, traditional, it is vital to support each others efforts.
I agree, assuming we include all the various diverse expressions of Buddhism, even the ones that we personally might think are a little wierd. ;)

spiny
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Absolutely.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sanghamitta wrote:Absolutely.
I've learned a lot from a "secular" mixing, such as this Dharma Gathering I mentioned here: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and occasional meditation/discussion at the "Insight" group that organised that (along with a Zen group). That there are various ways of exploring Dhamma/Dharma, and various resources one can draw on, is, I think, a positive, not a negative thing.

While I am certainly in the camp of "sticking mostly to one thing consistently" rather than dabbling in many different approaches, I think that's a very different attitude from: "my thing is the only right thing". Such secular gatherings are, among other benefits, a useful challenge, because they constantly expose traces of a "my thing is the only right thing" mindset ("Hmm... what's she talking about? Doesn't she know about ...").

:anjali:
Mike
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

mikenz66 wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:Absolutely.
While I am certainly in the camp of "sticking mostly to one thing consistently" rather than dabbling in many different approaches, I think that's a very different attitude from: "my thing is the only right thing".
I agree. I think all we can say is that "my thing is the right thing for me at the moment". ;)

Spiny
cooran

Post by cooran »

Just found this thread - wondering why I couldn't recall it, but then remembered I was away on Pilgrimage.

Will enjoy reading and considering the content. Stephen and Martine Bachelor will be in Brisbane shortly - not sure I'll be able to get to any of their teachings though.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---