If anyone can help/or I could help

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Fede

If anyone can help/or I could help

Post by Fede »

I am currently working to gain an officially-recognised accreditation in copyediting and proof-reading.
If anybody has any (non-urgent, non-vital) written work they would like proof-read (to give me practice, and to save you the trouble!) please consider sending it my way.
I have signed the Official Secrets Act, and am bound by client confidentiality clauses, therefore such work will not be used as any course-work reports.
There is (as if it needs saying!) no charge.

Thank you.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Re: If anyone can help/or I could help

Post by Ben »

Hi Fede
Unfortunately, I can't help you! However, I wish you all the very best with attaining your accreditation!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Fede,

I don't think it is too bad but my grammar is not what it could be, it is in UK English if that makes a difference.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it is the last post in the thread, if you would prefer a non PDF Version send me a PM.

If you want I do have a blog with many mistakes I'm sure and varying sizes of posts which you could use, I save them all for revision so could send you them as well, (sure that would be a challenge for the most experienced though ;)
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fede,

You could proof read Buddhism For The Modern Skeptic if you like!

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

What I will have to do is copy/paste as a word.doc as for obvious reasons the text as it is will not permit access for editing.

I have actually spotted an 'error'...

If you don't mind/aren't offended, I'll go for it!! :bow:

:twothumbsup:

Fede
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Sounds like a plan.

:clap:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

Hi Fede,

I have recently finished writing my first book...

If you don't have anything else to do, I would be happy for you to proof it for me.

It's going to be about 170 pages (approx 47,000 words) in MS Word 2003.

The book is mainly devoted to my re-encountering Buddhism in this life and chronicles my journeys throughout

South and South-East Asia over a period of about 15 years, with specific chapters devoted to India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Laos, Thailand and Indonesia.

Maybe such a task is too big for you to take on, I don't know.

Naturally I would be happy to give you a glowing credit in the book upon publication.

Let me know if you are interested...

Metta

forestmat
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
Fede

Post by Fede »

forestmat - you betcha sweet bippy!
I will take whatever work I can, and would be happy to assist.

I'm going to make something I informed another poster of, public. it was via PM, but it's not sensitive....
What I do, is merely add the correction in red, in brackets afterwards.
Going through the document and agreeing to the changes will be your next job.
The reason for this is to not give you a completely- or partially-altered document without your prior approval or viewing.
It's very important to give you the opportunity to 'vet' the document before final changes are made. There may be a phraselogy, for example, that I feel is questionable, but that you would prefer to leave unaltered.
As it's your document, it's only right that you get to have the last word!
Once you're happy with the altertions I have highlighted, send it back, and I will implement them. Anything you don't want changed, simply remove the suggested alteration.
It's important everyone understands that this is procedure.

Also, if I see anything questionable (such as "it took 7 years for this translation to be completed") I may put a question mark, if only to ensure you have your research correct. You might have meant to put 17 years, or 6 or 8... I'm not questioning your knowledge, I'm detailing a point which might need verifying. It may well be correct. In all likelihood, knowing you guys, it almost certainly is. But 'almost' is not good enough for the proof-reader!! This also lets you know I'm on the ball with regard to possibly mistaken information.
I will not be verifying the accuracy of the highlighted point myself. That's not part of my job. My job is merely to provide corrections, alterations and amendments to text.

All work transmittable requiring proof-reading should be sent to the following e-mail address.

[email protected]
Retro, I will proceed with "Buddhism for the Modern Skeptic" as I said I would.
By the way... is it 'skeptic', or 'sceptic'....?

In other words, are we adhering to US English or UK English?
seriously, it should be clarified.

Thank you all for your gracious generosity and kind support. It is much appreciated.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fede,
Fede wrote:Retro, I will proceed with "Buddhism for the Modern Skeptic" as I said I would.
By the way... is it 'skeptic', or 'sceptic'....?

In other words, are we adhering to US English or UK English?
seriously, it should be clarified.
Good question, and I certainly understand the differences between US/UK English.

To be honest, the way I decided which to go with was to chuck each into Google and see which one came up with the most entries. Generally speaking though I prefer UK English and make sure my son knows that the letter 'z' is pronounced 'zed' and not 'zee'. :tongue:

Metta,
Fede

Post by Fede »

So you're saying UK.....Yes? :)

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Fede

n Australia, we use real English, not American pidgin!
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fede,
Fede wrote:So you're saying UK.....Yes? :)
Yes, except for sceptic... it starts looking like septic after a while. :thinking:

Metta,
zavk

Post by zavk »

Ben wrote:Hi Fede

Kind regards

Ben
Crikey! Ben is right.

Aussie English is pretty fair dinkum.

:tongue:
With metta,
zavk
Fede

Post by Fede »

I can't get over terms like "avvo" for afternoon..... :jumping:

Retro, I'll happily keep the term 'skeptic' all the way through. :smile:

:namaste:

Ben

Post by Ben »

zavk wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Fede

Kind regards

Ben
Crikey! Ben is right.

Aussie English is pretty fair dinkum.

:tongue:
Bloody hell!
My efforts to stir the possum have gone unnoticed by our american friends!
I'm getting out of here before they wake up and take the clippers to my vowels.
Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725