Misquote of the Buddha?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Individual

Re: Misquote of the Buddha?

Post by Individual »

Manapa wrote:
Individual wrote: People should engage in Right Effort, but they should not be disenchanted by views, that is, they should be aloof from views and not unreasonably expect to preserve anything impermanent.
Hi Individual,
how do you mean?
How do I mean what?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Individual wrote:People should engage in Right Effort, but they should not be disenchanted by views, that is, they should be aloof from views and not unreasonably expect to preserve anything impermanent.
Very nicely stated

:anjali:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Individual wrote:
Individual wrote: People should engage in Right Effort, but they should not be disenchanted by views, that is, they should be aloof from views and not unreasonably expect to preserve anything impermanent.
How do I mean what?
The views! not disenchanted but aloof from views?

on reading this morning I think I understand what you meant but always good to double check!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Individual

Post by Individual »

Manapa wrote:
Individual wrote:
How do I mean what?
The views! not disenchanted but aloof from views?

on reading this morning I think I understand what you meant but always good to double check!
By relying on discernment rather than the belief, "This view of mine is the correct one".

Attachment is connected to views of self (seeing the truth as "my" view, and what I am refuting as "your" false view) and it is the end of discernment. That is, the end of discernment is the arising of the view of self. When a person concludes, "I have discerned this," discernment ceases. But pure discernment has no end to it.

By being aloof -- that is, distanced from -- views, a person doesn't feel attached to them personally or feel aversion to alternative ideas. Instead, a person sees views as being outside of themselves. This can be easily confused with relativism, nihilism, and certain forms of passive or lazy agnosticism.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

By relying on discernment rather than the belief, "This view of mine is the correct one".

Attachment is connected to views of self (seeing the truth as "my" view, and what I am refuting as "your" false view) and it is the end of discernment. That is, the end of discernment is the arising of the view of self. When a person concludes, "I have discerned this," discernment ceases. But pure discernment has no end to it.

By being aloof -- that is, distanced from -- views, a person doesn't feel attached to them personally or feel aversion to alternative ideas. Instead, a person sees views as being outside of themselves. This can be easily confused with relativism, nihilism, and certain forms of passive or lazy agnosticism.
Good post

This i feel stands in line with the teaching that the Dhamma is a raft (in this case the right view aspect). Things not to be clung to but used to get somewhere

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”