the ethics of lay teachers who charge money

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Ferox

Re: the ethics of lay teachers who charge money

Post by Ferox »

I don't think i'd ever go to a facility or deal with a teacher who wanted money out right.. it just seems totally the opposite of the dhamma being an exoteric teaching. Now every time I go to a monastery I usually give money, because I want to support them, but I wouldn't pay for a retreat.

Starting this Thursday I'm doing a 8 day meditation retreat with Bhante Gunaratana at Bhavana Society in West Virginia. Sometimes the Lay coordinator of the retreat will talk about how the place is supported by donations at the end of the retreat, but other then that you are never even hinted to donate.

what is wrong with a lay teacher getting a job? if your gonna be a teacher full time, why not become a monk? I in all honestly do a little teaching myself to very beginners and I also have a job and a business, I couldn't imagine charging for the dhamma or my insight.
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Ferox wrote:what is wrong with a lay teacher getting a job? if your gonna be a teacher full time, why not become a monk? I in all honestly do a little teaching myself to very beginners and I also have a job and a business, I couldn't imagine charging for the dhamma or my insight.
It's great that you are able to do what you do, but your work does limit the time you can make available to teach the dhamma, whether you have butted up against that limit yet or not.
The problem arises at the crossover point, e.g. when someone like yourself wants to teach more but can't afford to let their income drop too much because of pre-existing commitments to wife/children/mortgage etc., or (for the same reasons) drop everything and ordain.
There is no one-size-fits-all solution to the endless permutations of individuals, obligations and societies, but where dana doesn't adequately support the basic physical needs of teachers then we need to accept other means of supporting them or we won't have teachers.

:namaste:
Kim
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Kim,
I think most people feel there is no issue with people voluntarily giving money for teachings . Its when the payment becomes a necessary pre-requisite that we have problems with. Do you really feel that it is OK for a teacher to turn away a student who is to keen to learn the Dhamma because he cannot pay the required fees?
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

pilgrim wrote:Kim,
I think most people feel there is no issue with people voluntarily giving money for teachings . Its when the payment becomes a necessary pre-requisite that we have problems with. Do you really feel that it is OK for a teacher to turn away a student who is to keen to learn the Dhamma because he cannot pay the required fees?
I would hope that it needn't happen but if there are conflicting needs, one of them must give way.
Should the teacher go without food so that the student can have both food and dhamma?
Or should the student go without food so the teacher can have food and the student can have dhamma?
:juggling:
Perhaps the teacher can direct the student to another teacher who has other means of support and doesn't need to charge?
:juggling:
As I said, there is no one-size-fits-all solution.

:namaste:
Kim
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

admittedly for myself, I'm moving towards ordaining eventually, preparing myself for no debt etc. So I will be able to teach more obviously. I agree with people here saying that there are many ways to go about this, but imo it just feels wrong to charge for meditation and dhamma instruction. There is just a core thing that gets lost, a trust not seen much in this society today and an openness to all beings, regardless of if they can afford it or not.
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I have never heard of a centre (whether Theravada or Mahayana) who turned away a person who was genuinely unable to pay. Have people heard of such places?
_/|\_
santa100

Post by santa100 »

And if there're such places or teachers like that, then you'd better not get involved with them at all. You could be pretty sure that they'd only bring more suffering to you instead of lessening it as you originally wished... :tongue:
locrian

Post by locrian »

I used to be a firm believer that one does not charge for spiritual purposes, but I and my world have changed. I am not a teacher, but I see teaching just as I do any relationship and can see why people would be in a position where they have to charge. Now I'm not talking about people who choose to make a commodity out of what is generally given freely, but people who are being asked to give of their time and selves to pay extra close attention to one person (or a few or whatever the case may be). It's like this with everything...if a friend asks me to go to movie and a diner and I've just put in 9+ hours at my job, want to finish that piece I've been working on and am tired as hell I might say "no" or "not right now." If they then offer to treat (aka pay the tab) and express a strong desire to speak with me I might shift my schedule about at my own expense (knowing I might be worn out tomorrow, or may not get my personal projects completed as quickly). When you accept anyone into your life in any capacity you accept all of them and sometimes a person can't see how to make room or it would be too costly on a personal level. Money can sometimes balance that out. I mean, don't monasteries even have people cook or clean in exchange? In my world that is as good if not better than money. I mean, these relationships aren't as cut and dry as "I'll meet with you for an hour on Monday." They can really penetrate every aspect of one's life and *sometimes* money can help balance that (aka, well...I'll hire someone to clean the house this week which frees 3 hours for other stuff...).

To sum it up, it's not the money I have a problem with...it's what is being exchanged for what and why...
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Goofaholix wrote:
danieLion wrote:This is only a dilemma for those who believe they need a teacher; but even then, there are plenty of good free ones. IMO, ordained teachers are more trustworthy because they don't charge. So, if you feel you can't live without a teacher, find an ordained one and prevent the issue of payment from even arising.
Ordained people need to eat too.
Oh, I'll feed 'em. Sorry I left that out.
Goodwill
Daniel
befriend

Post by befriend »

David N. Snyder wrote:Here is Ven. Dhammika's opinion, which I agree with:
During the Buddha’s time people knew that teachers of other religions charged a fee (ācariyadhana) but that those teaching Dhamma expected nothing more from their students than respect and attentiveness (A.V,347). There is nothing wrong with charging for the food, accommodation etc. used during a meditation course. Nor is it improper for a teacher to accept donations. But to charge a fee, even if it is called ‘sponsorship’or to announce that a ‘donation’ of a certain amount is expected, contradicts the most basic ethics and ideals of Buddhism. Those who teach the Dhamma should see what they do as a rare and wonderful privilege and an act of kindness, not a means of livelihood.
:twothumbsup:
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

In the book eight mindful steps to happiness Bhante Gunaratana describes a sutta where the Buddha was on his almsround and he came across a man who was feeding his workers. The Buddha asked the man if he had some food to spare, to which to man responded: “What work have you done?” the Buddha pointed to his followers and said he had been teaching those people all day. After hearing this the man agreed to give the Buddha some food but the Buddha declined saying: “No thanks, I work for free.” And he did not eat that day.

Maybe someone knows the actual sutta?
'Suppose there were a beetle, a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of him. He, because of that, would look down on other beetles: 'Yes, sirree! I am a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of me!' - SN 17.5
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Seems to be more a nice story/but not sure (there are many who believe that there is a teaching for alms dependency). Maybe it comes from the To the Plowing Bharadvaja Sutta.

Here are tow essays which make the stringless Dhamma giving more understandable:

No Strings Attached -The Buddha's Culture of Generosity
and
The Economy of Gifts
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Dhamma was intended to be a gift and should remain a gift. It should be given freely to all who wish to receive it. Lay people who wish to share the gift of dhamma to others are more than welcome. Please consider it an offering of dhamma, a meritorious work, a selfless voluntary work . Whether it is spending time to volunteer in Tzu chi or sharing dhamma, it is considered wholesome actions. If an organization wishes to support the person's mission in sharing the dhamma , they can do so in the form of donation and it should be voluntary.
with metta,
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I do wonder how much the lay teachers that want payment , paid for their dhamma teachings .
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

A good question, I guess it's more rarly that disiples do different then there teacher. But there are three kinds of children in this world. Some do better, some do equal and some do worse then their parents.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_