Hightened skin sensitivity after retreat??

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
pilgrim

Hightened skin sensitivity after retreat??

Post by pilgrim »

I put in the question marks in the subject as I can't decide if I have a medical problem or a long term effect of heightened sensitivity after a meditation retreat. Its almost 3 weeks after the end of my Goenka retreat. At the retreat I had strong sensation on my arms and legs. but now, after 3 weeks, I still feel like I have sunburn or a cold feeling on my arms and legs. I just want to check if anyone else have experienced such a long term effect of increased skin sensitivity. I'm beginning to be a little concerned if I'm developing some medical problem. :thinking:
reflection

Re: Hightened skin sensitivity after retreat??

Post by reflection »

We can't tell you if it is a medical problem, but a doctor can.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi pilgrim,

Its a good idea to get checked out by a doctor because it could be neurological and completely unrelated to the retreat.

kind wishes

Aloka
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

If you practised correctly then it's possible that this sensation was always there but up until then your mind was blocking it out or not sensitive enough to pick it up.

It's pretty normally to feel a lot more tingling and/or itching throughout the body as a result of this practise, though what you've described sounds a bit different.

If it's too strong for you to cope with then maybe a visit to the doctor is in order, but I'd recommend making this sensation the object of your awareness, see what you can learn from it, see if it's changing, observe the minds reaction ie use it as an opportunity.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Yep, just completed a 3 day retreat day before yesterday. Again, my legs and hands are still tingling like they are sun-burnt, not uncomfortably so, just an odd feeling.
Ben

Post by Ben »

How is your practice going, pilgrim?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..