"Practice"

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
christopher:::

Re: "Practice"

Post by christopher::: »

Hi all,

Great topic. Practice for me has meant to try and live in tune with the dhamma, the teachings of the Buddha, living the 8 fold path, coming to understand and then apply what Buddha taught. Meditation "practice" is one key, crucial component of that, as is mindfulness, right effort, right speech, etc. We have opportunities to practice with each breath we take.

Does seem that only with practice does understanding deepen, go from intellectual understanding to skillful behavior and eventually (we hope) unfolding as realization.

From practicing the dhamma to living the dhamma?

I dunno.

:namaste:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

christopher::: wrote:From practicing the dhamma to living the dhamma?

Hi christopher,

I, for one, do believe that's the name of the game...in it's entirety...

A
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Practise for me is Meditation and directed thought and evaluation.

Metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks