Meditation, 5 hindrances, and the misconception

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Brizzy

Re: Meditation, 5 hindrances, and the misconception

Post by Brizzy »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
Brizzy wrote:I have argued in the past that 'abandoning the hindrances' IS the practice.
When you say "abandoning the hindrances", are you thinking of Right Effort, ie abandoning and and preventing unwholesome states? Or are you thinking of the hindrances being abandoned as a result of of meditation and mindfulness?
Or maybe these are the same? ;)

Spiny
Not the same but yolked.
Right effort and mindfulness are both part of the same practice. I don't believe you can practice right mindfulness without right effort.

Metta

:smile:
Ignorance is an intentional act.
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Brizzy wrote:Right effort and mindfulness are both part of the same practice. I don't believe you can practice right mindfulness without right effort.
Yes, and vice-versa. ;)

Spiny
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
Brizzy wrote:Right effort and mindfulness are both part of the same practice. I don't believe you can practice right mindfulness without right effort.
Yes, and vice-versa. ;)

Spiny
Yes.

Metta

:smile:
Ignorance is an intentional act.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

ignobleone,
Sorry for being such a jerk (above).

What I was trying to say was I don't believe you abandon the hindrances to get into jhana but note their absence as one of your "checks" on whether or not you're in jhana.
metta