If anyone can help/or I could help

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Fede

Re: If anyone can help/or I could help

Post by Fede »

retrofuturist wrote:(. . .) I certainly understand the differences between US/UK English.

To be honest, the way I decided which to go with was to chuck each into Google and see which one came up with the most entries. Generally speaking though I prefer UK English and make sure my son knows that the letter 'z' is pronounced 'zed' and not 'zee'.

Metta,
Retro. :)
The above is a good example of what is known as "House Style".

When I first receive a document or manuscript "officially" as it were, the person or company sending it to me would supply a cover letter highlighting several factors:
*The font and size used throughout;
*Whether the document is ranged Left or Justified;
*Whether it is single- or double-spaced;
*Any other pertinent information (such as the example of "skeptic" given above).

If I have any questions relating to the above, I will clarify with all concerned. I would never take the initiative or proceed without clearance.
So if I do ask something, and it seems like a dumb or obvious question, it's because I really cannot afford to take anything for granted, or as a 'given'.....

Thanks everyone!!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Ben wrote:n Australia, we use real English, not American pidgin!
Oh pleeease...don't get me started...flavour?...centre?...sheesh... :tongue:
What I do, is merely add the correction in red, in brackets afterwards.
Going through the document and agreeing to the changes will be your next job.
The reason for this is to not give you a completely- or partially-altered document without your prior approval or viewing.
It's very important to give you the opportunity to 'vet' the document before final changes are made. There may be a phraselogy, for example, that I feel is questionable, but that you would prefer to leave unaltered.
As it's your document, it's only right that you get to have the last word!
Once you're happy with the altertions I have highlighted, send it back, and I will implement them. Anything you don't want changed, simply remove the suggested alteration.
Being in Asia, I've found myself doing a lot of this (proofing), and similar to the above, I highlight the questionable part, or parts, in one color, followed by (what I consider to be) the correct in another color...and if I don't understand, another color...as stated, the choice to amend, or not, is with the author...regarding font, spacing, and the like, I spruce it up to what I think best and, again, leave the option of amending to the author...a rewarding, and gratifying proposition, I must say...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante, Fede,

I actually do a similar thing... part of my job is reading and reviewing Business Cases before they get submitted to senior management for approval (or otherwise). I do so wearing a few different "hats", making sure they've filled in all the necessary section, that they're not said anything which is going to make senior management scratch their heads, but also the basics of spelling and punctuation. I find it pretty satisfying too, even though other people don't envy me doing it!

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

At one point in my life, I ended up in the closest thing that I have come to as pergatory. I wrote abstracts for a living for about nine months. It wasn't so much the writing part that was unpleasant, but the working conditions and the trolls that we had as managers. Our training lasted all of fifteen minutes on the first night so that we could read the house style guide. After that, we were told that if we put a comma between a subject and a verb we would be sacked on the spot. We were paid ridiculously low piece rates. I got out just after Sept 11 and about six months after my youngest son was born. The five days on, two days off night shift and the insipid nastiness of the place was doing in my mental and physical health and I came to the conclusion that my family and I were better off if I were out of that environment. Some positives that I got out of the roll from hell was confidence in my own ability to write and an appreciation for 'plain English'.
Since then, like Retro, I've either been involved in roles where I have either done a lot of writing or have been in work or social situations where I have proof read for others.
Fede, my advice is to be consistent. Style issues will crop up throughout the document so don't worry if you don't get it all sorted in the first discussion. Also, and this may sound sacriligious, make a friend of MS Word spell-check and grammar-check. Just make sure you have the corresponding English variant selected to the document/audience. When I used to write abstracts, I would write them in Word, run the spell an grammar-checks and cut and paste the corrected abstract into the database application we were using. It won't get every mistake but it will eliminate a lot of time and give you pause for thought on expression.
All the best!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Fede

Post by Fede »

This is wonderful. Thank you all for your insight!

I get what you mean, Retro, about people not envying... The reverse side of that, if you like, is the hesitation or embarrassment one has about correcting a friend's work...it's difficult to do that without suspecting the person (being corrected) thinks they're being patronised.... so I simply have to put that to one side and merely correct away.
Ben, thank you for the advice....
I have actually procured a copy of an excellent book published for proof-readers and copyeditors. (Nobody knows why in the profession, the first term is hyphenated, but the second term isn't, and is written as one word!) It not only gives correct spelling to awkward words, but whether certain terms should be italicised, accented or carry capital letters in some instances but not others (such as 'government, and Government....). It's an excellent book.
I very much appreciate the support from everyone, and Retro, am starting on your document, today.
:namaste:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

just read some of the replys amd now I am wondering where else has another writen form of English? I know UK & america are different but outside of UK & america does everyone use actual English for writing (on about spelling and grammar) although there are many forms of english such as Scotish which is a seperate spoken language.

PS my spelling is going to go to pot for a while as I don't have a auto-checker for the internet on this new system.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fede,

Just a quick note to let you know I hadn't forgotten that you've reviewed Buddhism For The Modern Skeptic.

:anjali:

I've forwarded it off to my work and hope to review the changes during a break shortly.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Hi Fede,

I'm 2 chapters away from completing my first book - approx. 150 pages. There's no telling when (or if) I'll ever finish, but when I do I'd be happy to send it your way...but only if you agree to let me pay you for your work. Proofing is alway a bit more fun that way. :smile:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Fede

Post by Fede »

I'd be very happy to proofread your book.
I would not dream of accepting any remuneration from you.
Tell you what, whenever I post, just agree with everything I say, and bow to my superior knowledge, how's that? :tongue: :jumping:

Let me know when I can be of use.
Very happy to help.....

Fede

Post by Fede »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Fede,

Just a quick note to let you know I hadn't forgotten that you've reviewed Buddhism For The Modern Skeptic.

:anjali:

I've forwarded it off to my work and hope to review the changes during a break shortly.

Metta,
No problem Retro... I hope you're feeling better!! :hello:

Ordinaryperson

Post by Ordinaryperson »

Fede wrote:I am currently working to gain an officially-recognised accreditation in copyediting and proof-reading.
If anybody has any (non-urgent, non-vital) written work they would like proof-read (to give me practice, and to save you the trouble!) please consider sending it my way.
I have signed the Official Secrets Act, and am bound by client confidentiality clauses, therefore such work will not be used as any course-work reports.
There is (as if it needs saying!) no charge.

Thank you.
Fede,

ahem ... want to read nearly 450 pages of thesis?

Was told to proof read them by a native speaker(s) as it contains many grammatical errors etc.

:embarassed:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
~Actively trying to destroy the Three Unwholesome Roots of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance~
~ Greed is the greatest danger of them all ~
Fede

Post by Fede »

YES PLEASE!!

Please send it to my e-mail address:

[email protected]

I will need it in workable (word) format.....

Fire away!

It goes without saying that if you have deadlines, or restrictions, it's important I am made aware of these at the time you submit your work for proofing, together with lingual/language preference (USA/UK English)....
Last edited by Fede on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fede,

Thanks for this... I've now gone through the marked-up document and adjusted things in my original document to reflect your input.

Many merits to you! :clap:

Now to find somewhere good to publish it online :P

Metta,
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Fede wrote:I'd be very happy to proofread your book.
I would not dream of accepting any remuneration from you.
Tell you what, whenever I post, just agree with everything I say, and bow to my superior knowledge, how's that? :tongue: :jumping:

Let me know when I can be of use.
Very happy to help.....
It's a deal. Thanks, Fede.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Fede

Post by Fede »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Fede,

Thanks for this... I've now gone through the marked-up document and adjusted things in my original document to reflect your input.

Many merits to you! :clap:

Now to find somewhere good to publish it online :P

Metta,
You have no idea how rewarding this is to read.
Really. You cannot imagine. :smile:

I am delighted you are ok with the proofread document.
I did my best, and am glad it's to your satisfaction.

Thanks, Retro!

:namaste: