Yikes! People are noticing the change in me.

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Yikes! People are noticing the change in me.

Post by DNS »

Dhammanando wrote: Well, in fact there is a place for it. The Buddha commended the "divine abiding" of muditā —empathetic joy at the success or happiness of others— as a quality worth developing. And when muditā arises, the wholesome consciousness that it accompanies may well generate those mind-produced derivative materialities known as bodily intimation and verbal intimation, conventionally taking such forms as 'clapping', 'cheering' and suchlike.

However, not every sort of success or happiness is worthy of muditā. For example, a successful bank robber wouldn't be a suitable object for muditā, nor would a happy person whose happiness is delusional. For these persons the appropriate divine abiding is not muditā but compassion.
:thumbsup: :goodpost:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi flyingOx
flyingOx wrote:
I see, so there is just no place at all for fellow Buddhists to celebrate each other's happiness or deliverance, outwardly? Well, perhaps I WAS correct in my assessments of Buddhism being overbearingly religious. Perhaps I would make a better Hare Krishna. :shrug:
Perhaps your 'celebration' should be done within the context of a meeting or communication between yourself and your teacher or an ordained sangha member in whom you have confidence. Public declarations of one's attainments, as you have done here, will invite scrutiny.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
flyingOx

Post by flyingOx »

Well, folks, it has been nice chatting with you all. Just consider me another passer-by, another wanderer wandering through, another unenlightened :woohoo: !

So close, but no cigar...too crazy :cookoo: to be considered one of the circle of stars. :group:

So long, it's been fun...and according to most...very wrong :alien:

:quote:

:tongue:

Time to enjoy my enlightenment elsewhere :idea: :arrow:

But may only loving kindness be yours
and please don't draw too many swords :jedi:

Love you all.

bye :hello:
One is encouraged to seek the truth, but be warned if you ever find it, you will be treated as blasphemous.
zowdu

Post by zowdu »

Well, at least it rhymed.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Well I do not remember any passage or teaching where enlightenment had any pride known about or not.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Hi flyingox,

It seems like an expectation wasn't met here, and you're expressing disappointment about it.
What were your expectations? I noticed that several times you brought up the religiosity you perceive here.

Best,
Ngawang Drolma

:namaste: