Problem while meditating

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
alfa

Problem while meditating

Post by alfa »

Hi,

When I meditate, I get into such a relaxed state that there is a danger of falling asleep. So I open my eyes and the meditation is disrupted. Nor can I do open eye meditation because it's a strain on my eye.

Any advice?

Alfa
Reductor

Re: Problem while meditating

Post by Reductor »

What meditation instructions are you practicing?
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello alfa,

Is it, perhaps, either sloth or torpor? If so, advice here.
http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practi ... and-torpor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Only sit after practising walking meditation for at least half the period you have available for meditation. Its not easy to fall asleep while doing walking meditation.

The Benefits of Walking Meditation
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Alfa
Have you tried keeping your eyes open slightly, not wide open, or changing the object?

but what are you practising?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
befriend

Post by befriend »

raise your arms above your head for a little bit, and tilt your head up so its not drooping.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Drowsiness
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
alfa

Post by alfa »

Thanks, everyone.

I try to suppress my thoughts as they arise. This calms me down.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

alfa wrote:I try to suppress my thoughts as they arise. This calms me down.
Calming down leads to sleep, you need to energise your practise, the mind needs to be active and calm comes later.

I don't know where you learned the above approach but I don't think anyone here would recommend it.

You should bring your attention to whatever is happening in the present moment, body sensation, thought, breathing, feelings etc., noticing each and every little change arising and passing away. You want to be cultivating an alert mind not a dull mind.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah