Session on Monday

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Perry

Session on Monday

Post by Perry »

Hi, I guess this is a pretty vague question, but any answers would be appreciated.

After a lot of self-studying via books and the internet, I've finally found the courage to contact my local Buddhist centre (it's not a temple, although there is one nearby). The monk seemed very friendly and has booked me in for a two-hour introduction session with him on Monday.

Now, as interested (and admittedly rather excited!) I am about going, I still have a few reservations. First of all, the vague question I mentioned, does anyone have any idea what this session might involve? I'm sure I'll enjoy it nonetheless, but an idea of what to expect would be helpful, if possible.

The other has probably been asked here countless times. Bearing in mind this isn't a temple (but is still ran by at least one ordained monk, who I will be having the session with), what would be the correct etiquette around him? I probably should know this, but it seems quite confusing. Are both Venerable and Bhante accepted, or are these only used in certain situations? He uses Bhante himself, so I assume that is the acceptable title, but I'm not even 100% on how to pronounce it (as I've said my education has been 100% book- and net-based)! Is it "bahn-tay" as I've been saying?

Haha, this is probably a bit of a mess to understand, but I tried! :tongue:

Thanks!
appicchato

Re: Session on Monday

Post by appicchato »

pmwhewitt wrote:Is it "bahn-tay" as I've been saying?!
Yes...clipped, don't drag it out...

Don't worry about anything...give him a wai :anjali: when you greet him and sit down...

And smile... :smile:

It's all okay...
Perry

Post by Perry »

appicchato wrote: Don't worry about anything...give him a wai :anjali: when you greet him and sit down...

And smile... :smile:

It's all okay...
Thankyou very much. I'm definitely looking forward to it more than being nervous, but I think that's because I'm too busy being nervous about leaving my hometown alone for the first time!

Thanks again. :smile:
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

Dear pmwhewitt -- Thanks very much for your good effort. Don't worry -- teachers are in business for students, so, even as he is doing you a favor, so you are doing one for him as well. Just be yourself, exercise your ordinary respect, relax, and enjoy the ride. :smile:
Perry

Post by Perry »

genkaku wrote:Dear pmwhewitt -- Thanks very much for your good effort. Don't worry -- teachers are in business for students, so, even as he is doing you a favor, so you are doing one for him as well. Just be yourself, exercise your ordinary respect, relax, and enjoy the ride. :smile:
Very good point. I'll try :). Thankyou for your comment.

15 hours until I get there so I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow :smile:
Perry

Post by Perry »

Well I'm back, and I must say it was worth the journey!

It was fantastic to finally meet a monk as well as get some closure on some of the aspects that have confused me a little bit.

Bhante Samitha is a brilliant person and the two hours flew by.

Thankyou very much appicchato and genkaku for the advice.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings pmwhewitt of St. Evenage,

Pleased to hear it went well!

:twothumbsup:

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."