Warm wishes and greetings.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
NineLivesKing

Warm wishes and greetings.

Post by NineLivesKing »

Hello everyone,

I am very new, not only to the forum but to the world of Buddhism altogether. I dabbled as one might say, but I've never really brought myself to fully embrace the path. That is until now. I am 25 years old, and a member of the United States Navy. I have previously been to college for journalism and I hail from the state of Washington. My first experience with Buddhism was at said college when I was honored to experience a Mandala viewing. The impression these humble beings left on me was subtle at first, but the more I thought about it over the years the more intrigued I became. I couldn't shake their unearthly voices when they sang, it was almost as if I were a tuning fork and the vibrations of their prayers were still felt years later. Never have I felt such peace, such clarity. Even in the chaotic and sometimes stressful world of the military I have found a sense of profound calm. I sought out this discussion board simply to find like minds, as the support for Buddhist belief here is a bit lacking. I am very happy to be here and look forward to discussing many interesting things. If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.
David2

Re: Warm wishes and greetings.

Post by David2 »

Hello and welcome! :hello: :group:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Welcome King.

What's your rate?

Kevin
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
NineLivesKing wrote:I sought out this discussion board simply to find like minds, as the support for Buddhist belief here is a bit lacking. I am very happy to be here and look forward to discussing many interesting things.
If you can see past and accept the fact people have their different and occasionally unique perspectives on these "many interesting things", I'm sure you'll find the support you're looking for here.

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi NLK and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
NineLivesKing

Post by NineLivesKing »

Firstly, many apologies! By 'here' I meant my current location in the world, not this forum. I have utmost faith in the support available to me here. A simple misunderstanding. Thank you all for the warm welcome!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
NineLivesKing wrote:Firstly, many apologies! By 'here' I meant my current location in the world, not this forum. I have utmost faith in the support available to me here. A simple misunderstanding. Thank you all for the warm welcome!
No apology necessary. What I said was just a bit of a temperature check in case you had any allusions that Dhamma Wheel might be an alcove of permanent peace, solitude and quiet veneration.

What the forum does have are many participants who are dedicated Dhamma practitioners, who despite their occasionally varying interpretations of the Dhamma (which may be robustly discussed 8-) ) do provide support for each other, and a sense of fellowship in the Dhamma which may not be present in one's local community.

It is also well moderated, consistently in the line with the Terms of Service (as opposed to Dhamma policing or partiality).

Again, welcome.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Welcome King! :smile:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Welcome abourd :D
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome! May you find true peace and happiness! :heart:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com