Mentioning Buddhism in public

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Cittasanto

Re: Mentioning Buddhism in public

Post by Cittasanto »

Goofaholix wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:I used to!
some people looked at me funny, but no problem!
mainly it was curiosity!
Until they notice you've got no eyebrows ;), then they'll think you're an escaped mental patient who has recently had a labotomy.

I essentially wore a bed sheet around me, and the answer is still the same, no, they would ask, if they were curious.

I didn't just wear white, and have a completely bald head.

and so everyone is aware the shaving of eyebrows is a Thai Sangha practice not a universal Theravadin Practice.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

I might be wrong but it seems to me that dhamma is oftentimes best conveyed without mentioning Buddhism or using any overwhelming terminology that may turn people off regardless of where we are in the world. Everyone is experiencing dhamma on some level. Buddha had followers that we call Buddhists now but at the end of the day he was just offering a path to helping others realize the truth in their experience. As Theravada Buddhists we want to give our homages to the Buddha and show our membership in the group but we can't forget that our fundamental tenants (The Four Noble Truths & The Eightfold Path) speak dhamma without even mentioning Buddhism. I don't think the Buddha or the Sangha would be upset by us skillfully introducing others to the practice without their initial mention. I've met some really wise people that seemed like Buddhists that had never directly been exposed to the teachings of the Buddha at all. Samyaksambuddha,Pratyekabuddha, & those on their way to those states are out there and they are going to feel us regardless of our affiliations.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Tyler wrote:I might be wrong but it seems to me that dhamma is oftentimes best conveyed without mentioning Buddhism or using any overwhelming terminology that may turn people off regardless of where we are in the world. Everyone is experiencing dhamma on some level. Buddha had followers that we call Buddhists now but at the end of the day he was just offering a path to helping others realize the truth in their experience. As Theravada Buddhists we want to give our homages to the Buddha and show our membership in the group but we can't forget that our fundamental tenants (The Four Noble Truths & The Eightfold Path) speak dhamma without even mentioning Buddhism. I don't think the Buddha or the Sangha would be upset by us skillfully introducing others to the practice without their initial mention. I've met some really wise people that seemed like Buddhists that had never directly been exposed to the teachings of the Buddha at all. Samyaksambuddha,Pratyekabuddha, & those on their way to those states are out there and they are going to feel us regardless of our affiliations.
:goodpost:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

I agree with Tyler, very few people "know" I'm a Buddhist, but many see me sitting on a bench at work during break with my eyes closed, some have thought I was sleeping haha, most don't really know what meditation is or Buddhism, I am the only Buddhist I know in my daily life but people notice my practice and they do ask questions, when they do I do my best to answer them.

the best way to spread the dhamma is to LIVE the dhamma.. to become dhamma(to steal one of Ajahn Chah's books :P)
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I often reframe discussions in terms of developing ethics and striving to be an ethical person, sharpening my concentration, and developing a better understanding of how the world really works; all with the purpose of being a more content person. I can usually explain my lifestyle choices as a function of these three categories, rather than "I do that because I am Buddhist." If play the Buddhist card, I am often faced with stereotypes that are hard to explain. "You're Buddhist? Whose your rimpache?" "Do you practice martial arts?" "Oh, can you explain this koan to me?" On gift-giving occasions I would receive the latest book from the Dalai Lama, or incense, or a laughing Buddha figurine. I also find that the moment I frame something in religious terms, people assume I'm trying to convert them or that I am being preachy.

Besides, I am not at all very skilled at explaining Buddhism to non-practitioners, I am more likely to confuse people than offer a useful/favorable explanation. :tongue:
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Yessu

Post by Yessu »

I was working a new job at a call center and would meditate on breaks. I thought i was choosing a spot where no one else would go as i didnt want anyone to get the wrong idea. One day i was meditating and felt eyes on me. I didnt stop. when i got back in from my break i heard a rumor was going around that i was outside sitting in a strange position and talking to myself. It went around that i was some type of Muslim or pagan and people were increasingly more uncomfortable around me. I thought it would make things a little better to reveal myself as a buddhist. It made things a little better but i got teased a lot. I was called a hippie and a pothead amongst other things that didnt bode to well in this apparently professional enviornment. It wasnt a surprise to me when i was let go upon my first and very minor customer complaint.

It was interesting how the stigma on who i was and what i was doing changed based on peoples stereotypes. I went from a good skilled employee to a dangerous Muslim to a stupid hippie in the matter of a few days. I was so much better off when they had just felt the dhamma thru my character instead of clouding their opinions with stereotypes.
Last year I joined the Marines and when I was at boot camp I would meditate in the night. I was sleeping in a room with 80 other guys in it, so it was impossible not to be seen. People thought it was pretty weird, but nobody gave me a hard time about it at all. Sometimes I would meditate before I went to sleep and again when I woke up before reveille. One guy told me he saw me meditating when he went to sleep and when he woke up I was still there, he thought I had been meditating all night and never slept. It made me laugh. I also meditated during the free time we had each day and some people were actually interested and meditated with me a few times. My senior drill instructor found me once meditating, he just walked up to me and was staring at me while I sat there. He didn't do anything, except tell me he thought it was weird.

Later during combat training one of my instructors asked me about it, and I showed him the 'double lotus' position. He thought it was funny and sometimes he would call me out of formation so I could show it to his friends.

I think the most common question people asked is if I could levitate off the ground while meditating. I told them, 'not yet, but I am working on it'

I never thought the Marine Corps would be a bastion of religious tolerance, and I was really surprised by the reaction I got compared to the one you reported.
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake – FC
http://awakeningwithinadream.wordpress.com
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Yessu wrote:Sometimes I would meditate before I went to sleep and again when I woke up before reveille. One guy told me he saw me meditating when he went to sleep and when he woke up I was still there, he thought I had been meditating all night and never slept.
Dang, before reveille?! That is early. I remember my recruit division commander had us standing at attention in front of our racks (beds) with running shoes on withing 30 seconds of the bell sounding-- stop-watched. I needed all the sleep I could get before that (not that I meditate anyway)

Kevin
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Tyler wrote: Its hard for me to believe that there is no religious intolerance in the UK. While we may not always see explicit forms of prejudice there are always implicit ones that happen institutionally. We may not always feel them if we follow a religion or have other more salient aspects of identity that are more normative.
I'm a UK schoolteacher and I taught in a Catholic school for quite a number of years. Everyone on the staff knew I was a Buddhist and none of the other teachers showed any intolerance towards me - in fact some were interested and wanted to know more about it.

I also had many interesting, friendly discussions with the priest who was the school chaplain.

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Yessu wrote:
Last year I joined the Marines and when I was at boot camp I would meditate in the night. would be a bastion of religious tolerance, and I was really surprised by the reaction I got compared to the one you reported.
Hi Yessu,

Being that marine basic is heavily combat oriented, I am surprised your DI didn't go ape sh*t on you over meditation. But they want you to stay calm under stress, so perhaps he thought it might be a good thing for you. I know breathing techniques are taught during weapons, and some other kinds of training.

Naval boot camp simply is not as combat oriented so I do not have that kind of experience. It is all about following orders, working as a unit, a team with your shipmates, and being perfect and precise as hell, and pushing yourself to the point you never thought possible, so you feel like you have no limits afterwards and can accomplish anything, which you can.

Always be proud of yourself. Marines are some of the best trained, most highly motivated, and most highly dedicated men and women on earth. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force -- no one can stop us. HOO YA!!

Sailor's Creed:

I am a United States Sailor.
I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me.
I represent the fighting spirit of the Navy and those who have gone before me to defend freedom and democracy around the world.
I proudly serve my country's Navy combat team with Honor, Courage and Commitment.
I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.

I will always be proud of my days as a US Sailor.

Kevin
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Aloka wrote: I'm a UK schoolteacher and I taught in a Catholic school for quite a number of years. Everyone on the staff knew I was a Buddhist and none of the other teachers showed any intolerance towards me - in fact some were interested and wanted to know more about it.

I also had many interesting, friendly discussions with the priest who was the school chaplain.
My experience in Catholic schools in Australia has been similar. I don't go around talking about Buddhism but I don't hide it either, so many of my fellow-teachers know of my interest and some share it.
On the other hand, I try to keep my beliefs out of the public eye to avoid embarrassment to the school by, e.g., parents thinking that I am some kind of heathen unbeliever corrupting their children :rolleye: That just means not identifying as Buddhist on FB, for instance, or acting as convener of a meditation workshop - nothing that really affects my life, just something to be mindful of.

:namaste:
Kim
Buddhist Prime

Post by Buddhist Prime »

You got pawned by a Christian,
see according to them they can lie their butts off,
because in their eyes, Buddhism is of the Devil,
so they lie all the time, and if they are wrong,
then on Sundays they pray to Jesus for forgiveness,
and once the slate is clean they go out and do it all over again.
Because of this Logic:
Cause Jesus forgives.
There's no reason to practice Morality.
So being an evil little heathen and believing in
Jesus will get ya to heaven. However if you are
a good person and don't believe in Jesus you go to Hell.

Only a demon would suggest that,
only an ignorant would believe it.
Be like me advertise the Hell out of Buddhism:
Wear something like this, which will attract attention then you can explain it too:
Here's me:
and the shirt that got me so much attention, and rid my little town's ignorance of what Buddhism was:

Carry this with you always so as to explain what the Buddhist Swastika is all about:
and a picture of the Buddha as well to show it's usage:

Come to school like this:
and again:
Christians hate me having this Book, but I think it is so Awesome:

Watch the Buddhist Palm in Action, slinging Swastika Empowered Buddhist Palm Blasts!!!
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/2yIFkXRACgs/?fr=rec1

I'm 6'10" and 300 pounds, maybe a smaller man wouldn't be as lucky as I have been.
My Profile, everything you ever wanted to know about me and why:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11895
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Buddhist Prime wrote:You got pawned by a Christian,
see according to them they can lie their butts off, . . .
Take it easy. You don't want to be a Buddhist version of the thing you are complaining about do you?

All religions should reside everywhere, for all of them desire self-control and purity of heart. Ashoka's Rock Edict Nb7
David2

Post by David2 »

I would not recommend that. That is not what the Buddha taught.
Buddhist Prime

Post by Buddhist Prime »

David2 wrote:
He didn't teach us how to take a bath either, but we know how to do that.
Buddha taught only about things that stopped suffering, anything else and he would not respond.
My Profile, everything you ever wanted to know about me and why:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11895
David2

Post by David2 »

Buddhist Prime wrote:
David2 wrote:
He didn't teach us how to take a bath either, but we know how to do that.
Buddha taught only about things that stopped suffering, anything else and he would not respond.
Ok, seems that we have different opinions here, no problem.
However, are you wearing the Svastika mainly to attract attention?
I mean, you could very well wear a Dhammawheel instead, that would not produce so many misunderstandings...

(Btw, the Dhammawheel is more of a Buddhist symbol to me than the Svastika because the Svastika was used in so many contexts in history (Hinduism, Jainism, Native Americans, Greeks, Celts, Germanics, Nazis and many more))