YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Micca Samadhi - Dhamma Wheel

Micca Samadhi

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Shebop

Micca Samadhi

Postby Shebop » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Hello all,
could you please help me to understand what is exactely meant by micca samadhi. Obviously it is a form of samadhi, so one will experience similar/same states as in sama-samadhi? Is the micca 'just' about one's intention and if - how can an unwholesome intention lead to a samadhi-state?
In my meditation yesterday something interessting happened, namely that an unwholesome wish popped up in my mind after a long period of silence. After thinking that wish, the meditation went much deeper instantly. My ability to hear stopped and after the meditation it took me a while to be able to move my body again. This state was no different from other meditation experiences I had and which were definately sama-samadhi.
The unwholesome wish and the minds response in yesterdays meditation puzzles me.

Does anyone know how the Buddha defines micca-samadhi? Does he give explanations?
Thankful for hints and help - Shebop

mikenz66

Re: Micca Samadhi

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Shebop,

I can't give you a good reference right now, but my experience is that it is possible to get into a calm, concentrated, state, but with little mindfulness or energy, so no investigation. This essentially becomes just a kind of pleasant resting place.

Recognising such a state can be tricky, since it can be very pleasant.

:anjali:
Mike

Shebop

Postby Shebop » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks Mike!

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Hello Shebop, all,

This might be of interest miccha-samadhi (wrong concentration).

MN 117
Maha-cattarisaka Sutta: The Great Forty

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying at Savatthi, in Jeta's Grove, Anathapindika's monastery. There he addressed the monks: "Monks!"

"Yes, lord," the monks replied.

The Blessed One said, "Monks, I will teach you noble right concentration with its supports and requisite conditions. Listen, and pay close attention. I will speak."

[...continued ................................]
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

David2

Postby David2 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:22 am

I think an example for micca samadhi can be the samadhi one is experiencing during playing a video game.
One can be very concentrated during it, can be very absorbed, but normally, he isn't aware of any of the 4 satipatthanas: body, feelings, mind and dhammas.
One can not develop sati without being aware of at least one satipatthana. Without sati, samadhi is micca samadhi.

upekha

Postby upekha » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:10 am

Ven. Nyanatiloka's Buddhist dictionary gives the definition of Micca Samadhi as

"Wrong Concentration ( Micca Samadhi) is concentration associated with all karmically unwholesome ( akusala) consciousness."

with metta

Upekha

Zom

Postby Zom » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:22 am

As I see it - Wrong Samadhi means absorbtion or one-pointedness of the mind on unskilful objects. For example, when someone is fully absorbed by this or that sensual pleasure - he is in Wrong Samadhi.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:15 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Zom

Postby Zom » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Shebop

Postby Shebop » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Thank you all for your answers! I will go through the mentioned sutas as well.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:47 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:03 am

With Metta

Shebop

Postby Shebop » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:31 pm

That answers my questions. Thanks a lot Rui Sousa!!!!!!

Zom

Postby Zom » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Zom

Postby Zom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:07 pm

Return to “Samatha Bhāvana”