yearning

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
danieLion

yearning

Post by danieLion »

Anyone know the Pali word Thannisaro translates as "yearning" in the below DN 21 excerpt?

"Then Sakka, having delighted in & expressed his approval of the Blessed One's words, said to him: 'Yearning is a disease, yearning is a boil, yearning is an arrow. It seduces one, drawing one into this or that state of being, which is why one is reborn in high states & low. Whereas other outside brahmans & contemplatives gave me no chance to ask them these questions, the Blessed One has answered at length, so that he has removed the arrow of my uncertainty & perplexity.'"

It comes near the end of the sutta.
thanks
SamKR

Re: yearning

Post by SamKR »

The following is the original Pali (in Roman) for the above quote:

367. Itiha sakko devānamindo bhagavato bhāsitaṃ abhinanditvā anumoditvā bhagavantaṃ etadavoca –

‘‘Ejā, bhante, rogo, ejā gaṇḍo, ejā sallaṃ, ejā imaṃ purisaṃ parikaḍḍhati tassa tasseva bhavassa abhinibbattiyā. Tasmā ayaṃ puriso uccāvacamāpajjati . Yesāhaṃ, bhante, pañhānaṃ ito bahiddhā aññesu samaṇabrāhmaṇesu okāsakammampi nālatthaṃ, te me bhagavatā byākatā. Dīgharattānusayitañca pana [dīgharattānupassatā, yañca pana (syā.), dīgharattānusayino, yañca pana (sī. pī.)] me vicikicchākathaṃkathāsallaṃ, tañca bhagavatā abbuḷha’’nti.

(from http://www.tipitaka.org)

So, yearning ~ Ejā
danieLion

Re: yearning

Post by danieLion »

thanks