As you sow, so you shall reap

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
retrofuturist

Re: As you sow, so you shall reap

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,

The small ones are good in a tagine, or a Sri Lankan style curry.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sounds like a plan, Retro.
I made a tagine for 100 people a month or two ago which contained about 4kg of pumpkin as well as about 2kg of dates and about 6kg of chicken. I made it with the masterfoods catering cook-in sauce which contained an error on the recipe. The little darlin's didn't like it so much. The next time I'll be cooking en masse for people here is some months away so I might need to donate the harvest.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:Thanks Tilt.

Halloween is really a new phenomenon in Australia. The first time I noticed people getting out and about on Halloween were ex-patriot Americans who would visit fellow ex-pat households with their children. That was about 20 years ago. These days lots of kids get dressed up and go door-knocking. But of course - in late Spring for us rather than early Autumn.
Halloween is my favorite holy day and thanks to the Irish for that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Ben wrote:Hi all,
I thought I would share with you some photos of the pumkin harvest.
Ben, those look great. :D

Kevin
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

That's an incredible quantity of pumpkin!!!

Last year our front neighbour planted a pumpkin that ended up taking over both our gardens - it was a monster! Mind you there was nowhere near as much yield from it, just lots of gigantic leaves covering everything.

Ah Tasmania... I've been a bit down with where and how I have ended up professionally, this lifestyle that I swore I'd never have and yet having to support a family is not really conducive to a career change. Where is that greener grass?...
_/|\_
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Dan,
My vegie garden is about the size of a modern suburban block. The big jarradales were from 3 or 4 plants which took over most of the garden. The smaller golden nuggets were much smaller plants in comparison. I tried a variety of giant pumpkins (grows to 600kg), unfortunately I couldn;t get any of from the packet to germinate. I think that come next Spring, I'll get about 10 packets and use some heated germination trays and plant them in different places around the campus.

Perhaps you should come down for a holiday. Its only 45 minutes from Melbourne and the photography opportunities are hard to beat!
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Yes, Tassie is definitely one of the next destinations. Maybe sooner rather than later. My wife really needs a holiday after her brother's passing - she spent many a night with him at the ICU. We also have parents of a dear friend of mine in Cygnet near Hobart and should pay them a visit, they are lovely people.

Good luck with those giant pumpkins! By the look of your current crop, you'll be able to feed the whole island with your next one!!
_/|\_
Ben

Post by Ben »

I am sorry to hear of your brother in law's passing, Dan. All my metta to you and your family.
Do let me know if and when you intend to come - it would be good to catch up. Also, if you need any holiday ideas/suggested itinerary - let me know.
Yes, I have big plans for the vegie garden for next Spring. I haven't yet got a winter crop in the ground yet and am wondering whether it will be worth it. If we don't get inundated with flood waters, the frosts can be very hard.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I will do, Ben!

Looking forward to seeing that veggie "patch" with my own eyes.
_/|\_
wizi

Post by wizi »

Hi Ben, I am trying to start these bottle towers for container gardening.. just thought u might like to check them out for the winter season! :namaste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uDbjZ9r ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All beings like yourself are responsible for their own actions. Suffering or happiness is created through one's relationship to experience, not by experience itself. Although I wish only the best for you, I know that your happiness or unhappiness depends on your actions, not on my wishes for you.
May you not be caught in reactivity.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi wizi,
Thanks for the link but I can't view videos from my current location. I'll be waiting until tomorrow morning before it loads!
I think I know what a bottle tower is, and I wish you all the best with your vertical garden. I'd love to know how it progresses.
I'm still tidying up after a very productive summer. At the rate I am going - I don't know whether I'll get a winter crop in.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

Ben wrote:Hi all,
I thought I would share with you some photos of the pumkin harvest. I took this photo about an hour ago.

The blue/green variety are jarrahdale or "Queensland Blue" and I estimate they are between 5-10kg each. Some maybe more.
I harvested 18. There are some still in the garden but I think its too late for them to mature.
The smaller orange variety are known as golden nuggets.
pumpkin2.jpg
Hi, Ben. Glad to see that your pumpkin production is prolific. Here in my region of The U.S. there is a pumpkin related sport called "punkin chunkin' ", which you may want to give some consideration when breeding for size and configuration. The main event is held south of us here in New England in one of the original Thirteen Colonies: Delaware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_chunking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.punkinchunkin.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a sport which allows your supply of pumpkins to go a lot further. :coffee:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Ron,
So unethical but...oh boy do I love it!
I gotta get myself a trebuchet!
Thank you for giving me a smile on this ordinary evening.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Hi, folks,
I don't grow much food - good intentions alone are not enough, apparently :embarassed: - but I do have tomatoes from time to time and something most of you can't grow ...
Bananananananas.jpg
Bananananananas.jpg (111.11 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
They all ripen at pretty much the same time. This lot will be ripe in a few weeks and I will then have about 150 bananas to eat or give away within a week or two.
:juggling:

:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bananas, how cool!
Do the plants die straight after harvest?

I'd love to have a go at a vegetable garden in a tropical climate.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725