The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Reductor

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by Reductor »

Once more I have completed the hour. This was a difficult night for me.

Peace to all.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I was getting comfy in bed for sleep when I remembered that I hadn't posted here.

So yes, I did my hour. It is becoming easier and easier to do each day, in terms of habit and duration. Last night was difficult in that I was burdened by certain defilements, while tonight was very good. It was smooth sailing, and I ended with a good bout of brahmavihara meditation.

:twothumbsup:
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi Yana,
Yana wrote:I'm going to meditate 2/day.(Anapanasati)

I will start with 5min then add 1 min every sitting till i reach an hour.

5min+1,2,3..55min.

yes it's very slow..but i like slow and gradual work!grr.
Hopefull after i will have adapted..and i won't have much trouble sitting two hours a day.An hour 2/day.which is my ultimate goal for my lifestyle.
That's an awesome goal and an awesome strategy!

I have pretty much the same goal, but I am starting to think that my strategy is too advanced (i.e. hour/day already) for where I am actually at (busy and restless due to being busy, also sleep deprived). Starting from tomorrow I will try your strategy.

Thanks for sharing!

Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Post by Guy »

thereductor wrote:Once more I have completed the hour. This was a difficult night for me.

Peace to all.
I admire, and aspire to, your level of sincerity and unwavering dedication!

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Post by Guy »

thereductor wrote:So yes, I did my hour. It is becoming easier and easier to do each day, in terms of habit and duration.
That's reassuring to know, too!!!
thereductor wrote:Last night was difficult in that I was burdened by certain defilements, while tonight was very good. It was smooth sailing, and I ended with a good bout of brahmavihara meditation.
Glad to hear your persistent effort is paying off!!! Meanwhile I am taking the lazy man's path to happiness - Mudita!!! :D

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Guy wrote:
thereductor wrote:So yes, I did my hour. It is becoming easier and easier to do each day, in terms of habit and duration.
That's reassuring to know, too!!!
thereductor wrote:Last night was difficult in that I was burdened by certain defilements, while tonight was very good. It was smooth sailing, and I ended with a good bout of brahmavihara meditation.
Glad to hear your persistent effort is paying off!!! Meanwhile I am taking the lazy man's path to happiness - Mudita!!! :D
:heart: I do wish I could claim the accolades this morning, but cannot. Last night, after a rather intense and bitter argument with my wife, I couldn't bear to sit down and meditate. The thought of spending any more time, of being any closer, to those thoughts and feelings, made me run for the nearest distraction.

Tonight I will sit, of course. I resolve that from this day on I will sit even with the most frightful and awful experiences that come my way.

And whatever road you take, I hope that it is well paved and smooth.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

How many thoughts can be thought in an hour? A lot!

But I'm rather slow, so perhaps I averaged one every two or three seconds tonight. Hmmm :thinking: 1200? :rofl:

Not that many, I don't think. Perhaps I am even slower than I thought!

Anyway, I sat tonight. A lot of thoughts came up about family life - good, helpful thoughts, which made them hard to relinquish.

Peace to all.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

A pretty decent night. By relaxing my body and smoothing my breath, mindfully, I calmed a rather raucous obsession. Not bad. Heck, I went from being worked up all day, to being so relaxed I had to intentionally ramp up my energy. All in the course of 10 minutes or less, even.

Anyway, good night.

:heart:
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

How many nights has it been? :thinking:

Excluding the 27th of March, it has been 10 days. Yay!

Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Last night I sat for only 30 minutes. Then I woke up! It had been a long day, so I went to bed. :shrug:
bodom

Post by bodom »

thereductor wrote:Last night I sat for only 30 minutes...
Only? Thats more than ive been able to get in these past few days...these kids just dont want to nap at the same time...

Would this be considered a breach of the precepts?

:tongue:
Attachments
tranquilizer-darts-kids-children-sleeping-demotivational-poste.jpg
tranquilizer-darts-kids-children-sleeping-demotivational-poste.jpg (57.96 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

bodom wrote:
thereductor wrote:Last night I sat for only 30 minutes...
Only? Thats more than ive been able to get in these past few days...these kids just dont want to nap at the same time...

Would this be considered a breach of the precepts?

:tongue:
I would have to research it!

Until then, I suggest my parents standby when I was kid! :twisted:
Attachments
8333rubber_hammer.jpg
8333rubber_hammer.jpg (36.97 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
bodom

Post by bodom »

Ha!

Well I spoke too soon. There both fast asleep and I was able to get a solid hour of meditation in. :woohoo:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

:twothumbsup:
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I've completed the night's meditation. I got in just a little metta reflection there at the end; perhaps I should make an hour of that on its own sometime!

I'm getting better at calming my mind and thereby gaining some relief, or mental room, from the days obsessions/cravings. This makes things easier, but of course a whole day spent practising relinquishment would lead to a more complete letting go than trying to relinquish for 10 or more minutes once a night.

But one step at a time.

Thanks for reading.