"Living in the Present Moment"

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Sarva

Re: "Living in the Present Moment"

Post by Sarva »

Thank you all for the replies regarding remorse/regret.
It seems clear to me then that remorse must be let go to be undone: "But if I become remorseful for that reason, that evil deed of mine will not be undone."

This makes sense because if there is no self (anatta) then there is no entity to cling to remorse.

Metta
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sarva wrote:This makes sense because if there is no self (anatta) then there is no entity to cling to remorse.
Just becuase "there is no entity to cling to remorse" that does mean there will not be clinging to remorse.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sarva

Post by Sarva »

tiltbillings wrote:
Sarva wrote:This makes sense because if there is no self (anatta) then there is no entity to cling to remorse.
Just becuase "there is no entity to cling to remorse" that does mean there will not be clinging to remorse.
That's interesting Tiltbillings. Would you elaborate on the reason, please?
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Sarva wrote:That's interesting Tiltbillings. Would you elaborate on the reason, please?
I hope this isn't out of line, since I wasn't asked;
SN 23.2 wrote:"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for form, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'
There is no enduring entity 'Self', but when one clings, one can be reckoned according to that clinging, which means one is reckoned a being. With the cessation of craving, there is the cessation of reckoning.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Sarva

Post by Sarva »

Thank you Daverupa, I am always grateful for replies :)
So it seems a being is formed through craving itself. This seems clear to me as isn't craving the root for rebirth, to put it broadly?

So to recap; even after the self conceit is diminished there can be the arising of thoughts of remorse and it is these thoughts which can be clung to, thus the arising of being. It seems that awakening is in stages, where clinging can arise and fall, gradually becoming less until full awakening.

Please feel free to let me know if this sounds correct?

:)
Metta
Moth

Post by Moth »

I've always found that advice to be misleading. Don't dwelling in distant past or future, sure. However, what is a moment? A minute? A second? A millisecond? How many times can we divide time before it ceases to mean anything? It seems impossible to live in the moment, considering that our experience is generally recognized after it has occurred.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MattJ

Post by MattJ »

I'm tempted to ask: how can one NOT live in the present moment? Even thoughts of the past and future occur in the present moment.
http://zenanddao.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

On an internet forum, would it be when one's heart is in the present question, not in the future reply?
Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Cafael Dust wrote:On an internet forum, would it be when one's heart is in the present question, not in the future reply?
I would suggest in that context it's more about being mindful of one's present mindstate, actions and reactions.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

You are right. Mindfulness beats soundbites.
Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

However, what is a moment? A minute? A second? A millisecond? How many times can we divide time before it ceases to mean anything? It seems impossible to live in the moment, considering that our experience is generally recognized after it has occurred
"Here and now" is probably a better way to describe it. I have heard Ajahn Sumedho using this expression rather than ''present moment''.

Anyway, I think if we try to analyse everything down to the tiniest details too much, maybe we might miss the point altogether !

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Aloka wrote:"Here and now" is probably a better way to describe it. I have heard Ajahn Sumedho using this expression rather than ''present moment''.
My meditation teacher has been known to say, "Don't leave the room" while we are sitting. It's another way of reminding us to stay with present experience.

:namaste:
Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

It is helpful to recognize that what people naturally describe as occurring 'now' comprises a subjectively-broad saddle-back curve of time, rather than a point-instant or an objectively quantifiable & universally applicable span of (micro-)seconds. Trying to parse a specific measurement is missing the forest for the trees.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Sarva

Post by Sarva »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Aloka wrote:"Here and now" is probably a better way to describe it. I have heard Ajahn Sumedho using this expression rather than ''present moment''.
My meditation teacher has been known to say, "Don't leave the room" while we are sitting. It's another way of reminding us to stay with present experience.

:namaste:
Kim
I like that, Kim, worth quoting! Thanks :D
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

the idea that we aren't living in the present moment is just another delusion to be caste away. But I know what you mean, keeping thought from speculating about timeframes that it isn't existing in. actually now that i think about it this topic is addressed by ludwig wittgenstein in my signature
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."