Baby naming, dedication ceremony?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mawkish1983

Re: Baby naming, dedication ceremony?

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Ben wrote:It worked out well.
Hmmm, it's probably worth me checking with my brother to see what he expects of me. Hopefully things will be as relaxed here. If this Christening goes okay, it paves the way for the Christening of my own children I suppose, so let's see.

Thanks for your advice (Ben, Imagemarie and Retro)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Ritualsl are only meaningless (to you) if you don't know the meaning behind them. So do some research of the texts or talk to some Asian Buddhists.

You can probably get a blessing quite easily at the Sri Lankan Ketumati Vihāra in Manchester, or the Burmese Saraniya Dhamma Meditation Centre, or one of several other Buddhists centres in your area.

The Story of Āyuvaddhana is a baby blessing performed by the Buddha and the Sangha, by reciting Paritta Suttas for his protection.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

I might just have to stand there and lie through my teeth about raising the child in a 'Christian' household just to appease her sensitivities.
My wife is Christian and recently insisted that our children be baptized. I've always been reluctant on the matter, but our son actually wanted to do it (he's seven) and I didn't feel like arguing with my wife on the matter.

Of course, her pastor insisted I be present, but understood and respected me for my choice to uphold the 4th precept and not lie. I stood up front at the altar, quietly, and just smiled. My son and wife were happy, and the fact of the matter is, I was happy too. Our Daughter being baptized was, quite frankly, not a big deal because she'll choose her own path as she grows up, and so will our son, regardless.

Just my own [recent] experience with it. Maybe it isn't really as big of a deal as you "think" it is? Maybe you can offer alternatives to the Christian ritual, but ultimately, there is no reason to break precepts just to "appease" her -- if your lady cannot understand that, perhaps that also isn't as big of a deal as you "think" it is.

:-/ Good luck with it, and be well, friend.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."