Buddhist robes

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
YouthThunder

Buddhist robes

Post by YouthThunder »

Theravadin nuns (those that are not fully ordained,which is the majority iirc) wear different robes compare to the monks,don't you find it a bit weird?I mean in other traditions,monks and nuns basically wore more or less the same afaik.

Cheers~
Last edited by YouthThunder on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cittasanto

Re: Buddhist robes

Post by Cittasanto »

I am not sure what you are asking here?
lay people are not ordained so don't wear robes, and if you look at the ordained sangha they wear different colours depending upon which country they are in, or which nikaya (more noticable in Sri Lanka).
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

Cittasanto wrote:I am not sure what you are asking here?
lay people are not ordained so don't wear robes, and if you look at the ordained sangha they wear different colours depending upon which country they are in, or which nikaya (more noticable in Sri Lanka).
Sorry I mean the theravadin nuns that are not fully ordained.Edited my OP.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

YouthThunder wrote:Theravadin nuns (those that are not fully ordained,which is the majority iirc) wear different robes compare to the monks,don't you find it a bit weird?I mean in other traditions,monks and nuns basically wore more or less the same afaik.
The mae chees are 8 precept nuns who are sort of half-way between lay and ordained. They wear white robes. The fully ordained bhikkhunis (nuns) in Theravada wear similar colors to the male bhikkhus (monks), including, saffron, dark yellow, orange-brown, to brown and some wear a burgundy type color.
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

David N. Snyder wrote:
YouthThunder wrote:Theravadin nuns (those that are not fully ordained,which is the majority iirc) wear different robes compare to the monks,don't you find it a bit weird?I mean in other traditions,monks and nuns basically wore more or less the same afaik.
The mae chees are 8 precept nuns who are sort of half-way between lay and ordained. They wear white robes. The fully ordained bhikkhunis (nuns) in Theravada wear similar colors to the male bhikkhus (monks), including, saffron, dark yellow, orange-brown, to brown and some wear a burgundy type color.
So the mae chees are like half-nuns?thnks for replying.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

YouthThunder wrote: So the mae chees are like half-nuns?thnks for replying.
Sort of. In some countries, in some cultures and according to some Theravadins (not all) there is the belief that the bhikkhuni (nuns) lineage can not be reinstated. It died in the year 1017 CE in Sri Lanka. See: http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... ordination" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So for those there is the 8 precept practice as a mae chee. But in other countries (most of the Western nations and Sri Lanka) women do acquire the full ordination, if they so wish.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

They are white clad lay followers, the Women are better known than the men but there are men in Thailand who follow this way of life in white also, called Pakhows, Those who are bared from ordaining for some reason take up this mode of life (such as loss of limb...) I know this is reasonably common in Cambodia, in the west they are known as Anagarikas, same in Sri Lanka I believe, as David mentioned the Bhikkhunis in theravada died out.... but there are some Very famous Mae Chees such as Mae Chee Kew, you can read some of here talks online I think downloadable from Luangta Maha-bua's site.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

This past October I had the privilege of visiting 3 nuns (siladara) who were going to be ordained (as bhikkhunis) in a couple of days. They were very excited because their new robes had arrived, they were changing from a darker brown to a lighter yellow brown. I have no idea what the significance of this was, but thought I would share.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

The Siladhara don't wear the same robes as the Vinaya Ordained Monastics, same with the dasa-sila nuns in Burma.
it is a disqualification from ordination as a fully ordained member of the sangha to impersonate one, so they wear different looking robes.

Ajahn Brahm in one of his talks mentioned he was mistaken for a Bhikkhuni once....

John Stuart Mill
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

Cittasanto wrote:The Siladhara don't wear the same robes as the Vinaya Ordained Monastics, same with the dasa-sila nuns in Burma.
it is a disqualification from ordination as a fully ordained member of the sangha to impersonate one, so they wear different looking robes.

Ajahn Brahm in one of his talks mentioned he was mistaken for a Bhikkhuni once....
What do the Siladhara and dasa-sila wear?