What should I contemplate on?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
JadeRabbit

What should I contemplate on?

Post by JadeRabbit »

Hi all

I'm a beginner in Vipassana meditation and wondered is there a clear list of what I should contemplate on?

I understand simply, that I should consider anicca, dukka, and anatta. Is this linked to the Four Mindfulnesses?

In the Tibetan tradition I've looked at Lam Rim and a series of 21 daily contemplations, which was nice, clear and straightforward.

I'm so confused now I'm trying to understand Theravadan meditation.

Sorry for my ignorance. :namaste:
Ben

Re: What should I contemplate on?

Post by Ben »

Hi JR

I generally think its a good idea to undertake instruction on vipassana from a meditation teacher where you have access to guidance and supervision. There are many different objects of vipassana meditation but not all of them are suitable for everyone or beginners.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jade,

It might be worth distinguishing between "contemplation" as a conceptual activity, versus "meditation" in its various forms.

If you mean contemplation, you could try reading suttas such as...

AN 5.57: Upajjhatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

.. for some suggestions. If you mean meditation, then as Ben suggests, a structured and supervised meditation course would be the way to go. Until such time it would be worth commencing with the following...

"Mindfulness In Plain English" by Ven Henepola Gunaratana
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
JadeRabbit

Post by JadeRabbit »

Thank you for your kind replies.

I'm definitely looking for practices on contemplation, and will read the sutta you suggest Retro.

I have 'Mindfulness in Plain English', it's an excellent book, and am okay with breathing meditation.

Should I also be looking at the 'Satipatthanna Sutta'? (I've just bought the translation and commentary by Soma Thera - 'The Way of Mindfulness').
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings JR,
JadeRabbit wrote:Should I also be looking at the 'Satipatthanna Sutta'? (I've just bought the translation and commentary by Soma Thera - 'The Way of Mindfulness').
Another cornerstone sutta, even if the commentary translated by Soma Thera can seem a bit pedantic at times.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
JadeRabbit

Post by JadeRabbit »

Thanks Retro, at least I'm on the right track, I hope.

Do you know of a better version you could suggest? (bearing in mind I'm just starting out with the Suttas)

Looking at the Upajjhatthana Sutta, I've seen it somewhere else - a Gatha by Thich Nhat Hanh:

I am of the nature to grow old.
There is no way to escape growing old.
I am of the nature to have ill health.
There is no way to escape having ill health.
I am of the nature to die.
There is no way to escape death.
All that is dear to me and everyone I love
are of the nature of change.
There is no way to escape being separated from them.
My deeds are my closest companions.
I am the beneficiary of my deeds.
My deeds are the ground on which I stand.

:meditate:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
JadeRabbit wrote:Do you know of a better version you could suggest? (bearing in mind I'm just starting out with the Suttas)
The translation itself is OK... it's just the commentary that's a bit tiring, and I wouldn't recommend that to you yet.

Access to Insight has a few translations on MN10 for comparative interpretation.

Metta,
JadeRabbit

Post by JadeRabbit »

Okey doke. Thank you. :anjali:
MMK23

Post by MMK23 »

JadeRabbit wrote:Hi all

I'm a beginner in Vipassana meditation and wondered is there a clear list of what I should contemplate on?

I understand simply, that I should consider anicca, dukka, and anatta. Is this linked to the Four Mindfulnesses?

In the Tibetan tradition I've looked at Lam Rim and a series of 21 daily contemplations, which was nice, clear and straightforward.

I'm so confused now I'm trying to understand Theravadan meditation.

Sorry for my ignorance. :namaste:
Hey JadeRabbit! I just thought I would share my opinion - the more the merrier, right? LOL

I'm sharing on the basis that you are capable of making decisions for yourself, and I have no expectation that you will treat me as a teacher of Buddhism. I am not. Got it? Good :-)

In one of the great classics of Theravada Buddhism, the Vimuttimagga (The Path of Freedom), practitioners who are of the personality that "walks in infatuation" are advised to not undertake meditative practice before cultivating other qualities beforehand. This direction is in the middle of a bundle of advice that goes to analysing the different types of people and their most eminent mental characteristics. The advice is clearly that anyone who wants to practice meditation, ought first find a greatly accomplished teacher, and perfect the virtuous behaviours.

Wow... that's not what you read in modern dhamma books! Now, I'm not going to advocate that position. And I'm not going to disagree with the advice of those who have already shared suggestions with you. But I did want to let you know that I, and others, are of an opinion that meditation practice is something that should begin after a very serious period of moral cultivation - the boring stuff like cutting down on excessive indulgence, etc. Indeed, my very personal opinion, is that meditation practice can be harmful for some people, and can manifest as sort of self-hypnosis that creates an even bigger and more attenuated ego than that contended with prior.

So I say this to share with you that there are different perspectives on "where to begin", and mine is - not with meditation, and definitely not with vipassana. However, there are an enormous number of people who will say the exact opposite of me, and that vipassana practices will cultivate great skillful qualities for you which will naturally encourage moral behaviour.

How do we contend with this? Well, you can do as you wish - that's your prerogative :-) How do I contend with a diversity of views - I read the suttas, I study the commentaries, and I commit my introspection to the most serious and egoless place that I can find. Then I do it all again. And again. And again. And again :-)

Anyway, good luck with your vipassana meditation and I hope you achieve great successes :)

:anjali: :buddha1: :heart:

MMK23
JadeRabbit

Post by JadeRabbit »

Hi MMK23

Thanks for taking the time to post and share :smile:

Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer in my first post. I've been interested in Buddhism for around 5 years and looked at different traditions and forms of meditation. I feel like I've finally found a tradition that sits right with me and am now looking to go a bit deeper (hence starting to look at the suttas).

Lots of previous suffering in this life have helped my wish to become a better person. I completely agree with your view and am glad I'm on the right track. Whether you're a teacher or not, I still respect those who may have a little wisdom. :mrgreen:

:namaste: