Sutta Refrence Help Please

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Sutta Refrence Help Please

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:57 am

Hi Friends,
I remember a sutta where the Buddha admits he could not think of a way to rule without imprisoning others, or having to send warriors out to war when challenged by (possibly) Mara, can anyone remember the sutta?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Sutta Refrence Help Please

Postby vinasp » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 am

Hi Cittasanto,

Is it SN 4.20 - Rajja Sutta, (available on ATI) ?

Regards, Vincent.
vinasp

Re: Sutta Refrence Help Please

Postby Sekha » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:21 pm

This is an interesting question i have been wondering about for a while. However, I don't see the Buddha giving a clear cut answer in that sutta. Most probably, if this question occupies his mind, that means it's a tricky one.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

As a sweet-smelling and beautiful lotus flower may grow upon a heap of rubbish thrown on the highway, so also, out of the rubbish heap of beings may appear a disciple of the Buddha, who with his wisdom, shines resplendent in wisdom. -/ Dhp 58-59
Sekha

Return to Discovering Theravāda