my attempt ... am I doing it the "right way" ?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
syrius

my attempt ... am I doing it the "right way" ?

Post by syrius »

I am trying to learn Insight meditation. I have seen many resources through out the net ( such as this one http://www.vipassanadhura.com/howto.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and I am aware that it isn't a substitute for a real teacher but i don't have one for the moment.
i have practice mindfullness of breathing since last year.
I usually start by paying attention to different part of my body, going head to toe then to the breath then i pay attention to my posture by mentioning "sitting" then let it go took a snapshot then "sitting" . I then start to note the " in " and "out" at the nostril s it is where i feel the most the breath. I have noticed that there is a usually a gap between the "in" and "out" so I note sitting as i took a snapshot of my posture not visually but with my mind.
When i find that my concentration is a bit more settles i am trying to pay attention to everything else by noting them such as "imagining", "thinking" etc ..... .
so i wonder if i am doing it the right way ? as my mind sometimes is filled with doubt and I am aware that is a big hindrance in meditation.
also am i right to think that vipassana combine samatha and insight together ?
thank you . with metta. :anjali:
reflection

Re: my attempt ... am I doing it the "right way" ?

Post by reflection »

Hi Syrius,

Whether you are doing it right is best judged from the results of the practice, not the practice itself.

Do you feel more at ease/relaxed/open/happy/loving after a meditation compared to before the meditation? If so, you're probably doing the right thing. If not, than chances are you are not.

Also, over time you should be able to notice this. Since you've been doing it for a year, you can maybe notice you are more relaxed in general.

You might also consider reading this essay: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... etool.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
syrius

Post by syrius »

thank you for your response before i was doing in a very mechanical way and not getting much out of it i was just concentrating on the breath and not paying attention to anything else .
since I have changed i have notice how lighter the practice seems to be and how calm i can be. I think it is just for reassurance to know if I ma doing it right 'cause of the doubt cripping it in my mind .
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Haha no, don't worry, that seems about right. As the above poster mentioned, it's really about the results. If you come out with a more settled mind and a better understanding of impermanence and non-self, then you're probably doing it right!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
syrius

Post by syrius »

thank you it is reaussuring that I am on the right path and applying the right methods . lol I should learn to trust my self . I a think I am more worried to see if i am applying the methods the right way ? :thinking:
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

Venerable Dhamika(sp?) was once asked a question like this, "am I doing it right".. and he said.. I dunno what do you think? lol..he basically said that it is like a sick person who gradually gets rid of the sickness.. you know when you are doing it right, no one else can tell you. I agree 100% with this out of my own limited experience and practice.
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

syrius wrote:thank you it is reaussuring that I am on the right path and applying the right methods . lol I should learn to trust my self . I a think I am more worried to see if i am applying the methods the right way ? :thinking:
If you're worried about it, make sure to note "worrying, worrying, worrying." Otherwise just keep going =]
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
JackV

Post by JackV »

syrius wrote:i wonder if i am doing it the right way ? as my mind sometimes is filled with doubt and I am aware that is a big hindrance in meditation.
I also went through a period of feeling like this. After spending some time on a personal retreat and speaking to a number of monks and Ajahns at the monastery the advice given to me was essentially there is no "right way" you must just watch and be mindful. This doubt you are having should become the object of your meditation. Everything is a chance for seeing Dhamma.

I'm not sure if this is of any help to you seeing that it's from me, second hand, but the advice was immeasurable useful for me. It was something I worked on over time and has helped greatly.
I simply begin by focusing on anything, although usually the posture to begin with and points of physical contact. Then if my attention moves to another object I simply know that. If thoughts or anything arise I simply know that and shift back to my object.
I tend to find a preference towards the breath as an object (another feature/attachment of mind which I have noted)

Keep going at it, dont give up. Good luck
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
syrius

Post by syrius »

thank you all for your support .

I think I must be doing it right as i am having doubt which after reflection, about your comment, make me think that is probably my mind trying to resist ! I have to say that since i have change it my meditation feels a lot more alive .
syrius

Post by syrius »

JackV wrote:
syrius wrote:i wonder if i am doing it the right way ? as my mind sometimes is filled with doubt and I am aware that is a big hindrance in meditation.
I also went through a period of feeling like this. After spending some time on a personal retreat and speaking to a number of monks and Ajahns at the monastery the advice given to me was essentially there is no "right way" you must just watch and be mindful. This doubt you are having should become the object of your meditation. Everything is a chance for seeing Dhamma.

I'm not sure if this is of any help to you seeing that it's from me, second hand, but the advice was immeasurable useful for me. It was something I worked on over time and has helped greatly.
I simply begin by focusing on anything, although usually the posture to begin with and points of physical contact. Then if my attention moves to another object I simply know that. If thoughts or anything arise I simply know that and shift back to my object.
I tend to find a preference towards the breath as an object (another feature/attachment of mind which I have noted)

Keep going at it, don't give up. Good luck
This is more or less what I am trying to do ... I see an other object coming in, I note it and do nothing about it . I just watch it come and go. I then come back on the breath. As previously said, I was becoming too attach to the breath to a point my meditation felt mechanical and I was getting nothing much out of it. This became a big hindrance in my meditation. Not so much now as I see more alive while meditating it and more concentrated . lol thank you again.