Mahasi Course Timetable

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby SamKR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:24 pm

What is the normal timetable in Mahasi Vipassana Courses?
I mean timetable like this: http://www.dhamma.org/en/code.shtml (see at the end of page).

Sameer
Last edited by SamKR on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamKR
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby cooran » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Hello Sam,

Timetables can vary depending on the teacher. Some are hard core, some are gentler times. Not sure where you are based, but contacting the appropriate place in the link below may give you the information. If your country is not mentioned, they may be able to give you the contact:

http://www.mahasiusa.org/ww.html

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
User avatar
cooran
 
Posts: 7488
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby SamKR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:23 am

cooran wrote:Hello Sam,

Timetables can vary depending on the teacher. Some are hard core, some are gentler times. Not sure where you are based, but contacting the appropriate place in the link below may give you the information. If your country is not mentioned, they may be able to give you the contact:

http://www.mahasiusa.org/ww.html

with metta
Chris


Thank you Chris. I see it depends upon the teacher. I currently live in Nevada, US. but I would just like to know what a typical "hard core" Mahasi style Vipassana course (about 10 day) is like (regarding the daily schedule).
I went to http://www.tbsa.org/index.php?option=co ... e&Itemid=1, but did not see this information in details and not sure if it offers gentle or intense courses.
Is this considered hard core: http://www.tathagata.org/home ? And is its timetable similar to that of http://panditarama.net/ ?
SamKR
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:26 am

In asian centres you usually make your own timetable and are expected to be alternating sitting and walking throughout the day from at least 4am to about 10pm. Other than meals, interviews, bathing etc you are expected to be sitting and walking all day.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
User avatar
Goofaholix
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby SamKR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:44 am

Goofaholix wrote:In asian centres you usually make your own timetable and are expected to be alternating sitting and walking throughout the day from at least 4am to about 10pm. Other than meals, interviews, bathing etc you are expected to be sitting and walking all day.

Thanks Goofaholix. I see. So there is no hard and fast timetables.
Do the actual meditation instructions too in these Mahasi method retreats (taught by different teachers in different locations) slightly/significantly differ from each other?

I only know about Goenkaji's method as I have taken a few 10-day courses only in this tradition, and they are almost the same everywhere. I somehow had the impression that Mahasi method retreats are also same everywhere around the world. But I realize now that I am wrong since Mahasi method is usually taught by Bhikkhus who are based on different independent monasteries or centers.
SamKR
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:45 am

I get the impression that in most centres in the West, the schedule has been relaxed. The scedule at Panidtarama is still the same as it was when the Mahāsi Sayādaw started teaching.
Sleep should be limited to 4-6 hrs per 24 hours.

When the Mahāsi Sayādaw started teaching, it was 3:00 am to 11:00 pm. When I went to Mahāsi Yeiktha in 1979 it was only 4:00 am to 10:00 pm, but meditators were expected to practise throughout the entire day without a break. Meals were not schedule as "Lunch break" or "Breakfast break."

The Tathāgata Meditation Centre schedule is as follows:

Practice: Meditators must follow the meditation teacher’s instruction, not their own way of practice. They should practice diligently from 5 AM to 10 PM every day. In order to be able to penetrate the reality, meditators need to be quiet, externally and internally. Therefore, they should observe noble silence and be mindful. In addition, they should avoid doing things causing distraction for oneself and others during the retreat as follows:
  1. Refrain from talking and making noise. If need to communicate, please contact retreat coordinator during the office hours.
  2. Avoid greeting each others.
    Avoid working, showering during the sitting meditations and Dhamma talks.
  3. Carry out assigned tasks with mindfulness to keep mind from disturbance.
  4. Avoid physical exercises, yoga or taichi, listening to radio, music, reading books, making telephone calls.
  5. Look down while practicing sitting, walking, standing meditations or doing tasks.
  6. Minimize the use of medicine since during the retreat practice, the mind is extremely sensitive.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
User avatar
Bhikkhu Pesala
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby SamKR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:08 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I get the impression that in most centres in the West, the schedule has been relaxed. The scedule at Panidtarama is still the same as it was when the Mahāsi Sayādaw started teaching.
Sleep should be limited to 4-6 hrs per 24 hours.

When the Mahāsi Sayādaw started teaching, it was 3:00 am to 11:00 pm. When I went to Mahāsi Yeiktha in 1979 it was only 4:00 am to 10:00 pm, but meditators were expected to practise throughout the entire day without a break. Meals were not schedule as "Lunch break" or "Breakfast break."


Thank you Bhante. I see Panditarama schedule has 21:00 to 23:00 as optional practice. It's good for some people like me who need more sleep than others (because of sleep-related problems).

The Tathāgata Meditation Centre schedule is as follows:

Practice: Meditators must follow the meditation teacher’s instruction, not their own way of practice. They should practice diligently from 5 AM to 10 PM every day. In order to be able to penetrate the reality, meditators need to be quiet, externally and internally. Therefore, they should observe noble silence and be mindful. In addition, they should avoid doing things causing distraction for oneself and others during the retreat as follows:
  1. Refrain from talking and making noise. If need to communicate, please contact retreat coordinator during the office hours.
  2. Avoid greeting each others.
    Avoid working, showering during the sitting meditations and Dhamma talks.
  3. Carry out assigned tasks with mindfulness to keep mind from disturbance.
  4. Avoid physical exercises, yoga or taichi, listening to radio, music, reading books, making telephone calls.
  5. Look down while practicing sitting, walking, standing meditations or doing tasks.
  6. Minimize the use of medicine since during the retreat practice, the mind is extremely sensitive.

Seems to be strict rules and regulations (for good).
SamKR
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:16 am

SamKR wrote:Thanks Goofaholix. I see. So there is no hard and fast timetables.
Do the actual meditation instructions too in these Mahasi method retreats (taught by different teachers in different locations) slightly/significantly differ from each other?


In asian mahasi centres the instructions will mostly be given at one to one or group interviews. There might be an occasional or daily dhamma talk or recorded dhamma talks but these won't contain the main instructions.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
User avatar
Goofaholix
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby SamKR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:31 am

Goofaholix wrote:
SamKR wrote:Thanks Goofaholix. I see. So there is no hard and fast timetables.
Do the actual meditation instructions too in these Mahasi method retreats (taught by different teachers in different locations) slightly/significantly differ from each other?


In asian mahasi centres the instructions will mostly be given at one to one or group interviews. There might be an occasional or daily dhamma talk or recorded dhamma talks but these won't contain the main instructions.

By "asian mahasi centers" I suppose you mean the centers actually in Asian countries. And I understand from your reply that in the Western countries the way of instructions is usually somewhat different from that of Asian (?)
SamKR
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 am

SamKR wrote:By "asian mahasi centers" I suppose you mean the centers actually in Asian countries. And I understand from your reply that in the Western countries the way of instructions is usually somewhat different from that of Asian (?)


I've only been to one outside of asia, unless you count IMS, but I think most in the west will follow the normal retreat format of usually 9-10 days and a dhamma talk each night that you've been used to with Goenka, with group sitting and walking according to a schedule rather than at your own pace.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
User avatar
Goofaholix
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Postby SamKR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 am

Goofaholix wrote:
I've only been to one outside of asia, unless you count IMS, but I think most in the west will follow the normal retreat format of usually 9-10 days and a dhamma talk each night that you've been used to with Goenka, with group sitting and walking according to a schedule rather than at your own pace.

Thank Goofaholix for this information.
SamKR
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Virginia


Return to Insight Meditation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests