Mahasi Course Timetable

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
SamKR

Mahasi Course Timetable

Post by SamKR »

What is the normal timetable in Mahasi Vipassana Courses?
I mean timetable like this: http://www.dhamma.org/en/code.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see at the end of page).

Sameer
Last edited by SamKR on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
cooran

Re: Mahasi Course Timetable

Post by cooran »

Hello Sam,

Timetables can vary depending on the teacher. Some are hard core, some are gentler times. Not sure where you are based, but contacting the appropriate place in the link below may give you the information. If your country is not mentioned, they may be able to give you the contact:

http://www.mahasiusa.org/ww.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

cooran wrote:Hello Sam,

Timetables can vary depending on the teacher. Some are hard core, some are gentler times. Not sure where you are based, but contacting the appropriate place in the link below may give you the information. If your country is not mentioned, they may be able to give you the contact:

http://www.mahasiusa.org/ww.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
Thank you Chris. I see it depends upon the teacher. I currently live in Nevada, US. but I would just like to know what a typical "hard core" Mahasi style Vipassana course (about 10 day) is like (regarding the daily schedule).
I went to http://www.tbsa.org/index.php?option=co ... e&Itemid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but did not see this information in details and not sure if it offers gentle or intense courses.
Is this considered hard core: http://www.tathagata.org/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? And is its timetable similar to that of http://panditarama.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

In asian centres you usually make your own timetable and are expected to be alternating sitting and walking throughout the day from at least 4am to about 10pm. Other than meals, interviews, bathing etc you are expected to be sitting and walking all day.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Goofaholix wrote:In asian centres you usually make your own timetable and are expected to be alternating sitting and walking throughout the day from at least 4am to about 10pm. Other than meals, interviews, bathing etc you are expected to be sitting and walking all day.
Thanks Goofaholix. I see. So there is no hard and fast timetables.
Do the actual meditation instructions too in these Mahasi method retreats (taught by different teachers in different locations) slightly/significantly differ from each other?

I only know about Goenkaji's method as I have taken a few 10-day courses only in this tradition, and they are almost the same everywhere. I somehow had the impression that Mahasi method retreats are also same everywhere around the world. But I realize now that I am wrong since Mahasi method is usually taught by Bhikkhus who are based on different independent monasteries or centers.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I get the impression that in most centres in the West, the schedule has been relaxed. The scedule at Panidtarama is still the same as it was when the Mahāsi Sayādaw started teaching.
Sleep should be limited to 4-6 hrs per 24 hours.
When the Mahāsi Sayādaw started teaching, it was 3:00 am to 11:00 pm. When I went to Mahāsi Yeiktha in 1979 it was only 4:00 am to 10:00 pm, but meditators were expected to practise throughout the entire day without a break. Meals were not schedule as "Lunch break" or "Breakfast break."

The Tathāgata Meditation Centre schedule is as follows:

Practice: Meditators must follow the meditation teacher’s instruction, not their own way of practice. They should practice diligently from 5 AM to 10 PM every day. In order to be able to penetrate the reality, meditators need to be quiet, externally and internally. Therefore, they should observe noble silence and be mindful. In addition, they should avoid doing things causing distraction for oneself and others during the retreat as follows:
  1. Refrain from talking and making noise. If need to communicate, please contact retreat coordinator during the office hours.
  2. Avoid greeting each others.
    Avoid working, showering during the sitting meditations and Dhamma talks.
  3. Carry out assigned tasks with mindfulness to keep mind from disturbance.
  4. Avoid physical exercises, yoga or taichi, listening to radio, music, reading books, making telephone calls.
  5. Look down while practicing sitting, walking, standing meditations or doing tasks.
  6. Minimize the use of medicine since during the retreat practice, the mind is extremely sensitive.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I get the impression that in most centres in the West, the schedule has been relaxed. The scedule at Panidtarama is still the same as it was when the Mahāsi Sayādaw started teaching.
Sleep should be limited to 4-6 hrs per 24 hours.
When the Mahāsi Sayādaw started teaching, it was 3:00 am to 11:00 pm. When I went to Mahāsi Yeiktha in 1979 it was only 4:00 am to 10:00 pm, but meditators were expected to practise throughout the entire day without a break. Meals were not schedule as "Lunch break" or "Breakfast break."
Thank you Bhante. I see Panditarama schedule has 21:00 to 23:00 as optional practice. It's good for some people like me who need more sleep than others (because of sleep-related problems).
The Tathāgata Meditation Centre schedule is as follows:

Practice: Meditators must follow the meditation teacher’s instruction, not their own way of practice. They should practice diligently from 5 AM to 10 PM every day. In order to be able to penetrate the reality, meditators need to be quiet, externally and internally. Therefore, they should observe noble silence and be mindful. In addition, they should avoid doing things causing distraction for oneself and others during the retreat as follows:
  1. Refrain from talking and making noise. If need to communicate, please contact retreat coordinator during the office hours.
  2. Avoid greeting each others.
    Avoid working, showering during the sitting meditations and Dhamma talks.
  3. Carry out assigned tasks with mindfulness to keep mind from disturbance.
  4. Avoid physical exercises, yoga or taichi, listening to radio, music, reading books, making telephone calls.
  5. Look down while practicing sitting, walking, standing meditations or doing tasks.
  6. Minimize the use of medicine since during the retreat practice, the mind is extremely sensitive.
Seems to be strict rules and regulations (for good).
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

SamKR wrote:Thanks Goofaholix. I see. So there is no hard and fast timetables.
Do the actual meditation instructions too in these Mahasi method retreats (taught by different teachers in different locations) slightly/significantly differ from each other?
In asian mahasi centres the instructions will mostly be given at one to one or group interviews. There might be an occasional or daily dhamma talk or recorded dhamma talks but these won't contain the main instructions.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Goofaholix wrote:
SamKR wrote:Thanks Goofaholix. I see. So there is no hard and fast timetables.
In asian mahasi centres the instructions will mostly be given at one to one or group interviews. There might be an occasional or daily dhamma talk or recorded dhamma talks but these won't contain the main instructions.
By "asian mahasi centers" I suppose you mean the centers actually in Asian countries. And I understand from your reply that in the Western countries the way of instructions is usually somewhat different from that of Asian (?)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

SamKR wrote:By "asian mahasi centers" I suppose you mean the centers actually in Asian countries. And I understand from your reply that in the Western countries the way of instructions is usually somewhat different from that of Asian (?)
I've only been to one outside of asia, unless you count IMS, but I think most in the west will follow the normal retreat format of usually 9-10 days and a dhamma talk each night that you've been used to with Goenka, with group sitting and walking according to a schedule rather than at your own pace.
― Ajahn Chah
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Goofaholix wrote:
I've only been to one outside of asia, unless you count IMS, but I think most in the west will follow the normal retreat format of usually 9-10 days and a dhamma talk each night that you've been used to with Goenka, with group sitting and walking according to a schedule rather than at your own pace.
Thank Goofaholix for this information.