YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Similes and classic Dhamma stories in practice - Dhamma Wheel

Similes and classic Dhamma stories in practice

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Similes and classic Dhamma stories in practice

Postby retrofuturist » Fri May 22, 2009 1:42 am

Greetings,

I thought it might be interesting to find out which Dhamma similes people have found useful in their actual practice.

For example, the taming of the wild elephant... I've been using this simile lately to centre myself and try to prevent the mind wandering of in streams of papanca. I hope to tame this elephant and make it give up on escape (into the realm of sensory pleasures).

Another simile I've found useful in the past is the one about balancing of bowl of oil on your head, whilst there's entertainments all round, and villains waiting to slit your throat if you spill a drop.

Mara as a personification of evil and unwholesomeness also seems like a useful device, though I've not used it often and it doesn't quite classify as a simile.

Has anyone else found a practical application for any of the classic Dhamma similes?

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

MMK23

Re: Similes and classic Dhamma stories in practice

Postby MMK23 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:09 am

piotr

Postby piotr » Fri May 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi,

I like the simile of the path which leads to the park (). Its message goes against the current of popular belief that actual practice requires abandonment of desire to practice. I find it very useful.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Fri May 22, 2009 5:38 pm

Leper simile. Magandiya Suta?
Reminds me that I am very deluded about the nature of pleasure.
- Peter

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat May 23, 2009 4:27 am

One of my favorites is the Blind Sea Turtle (who only comes up for air once every 50,000 years or so and the likelihood that she puts her head through a relatively small hoop being the likelihood of being re-born human again).

A great reminder to keep at the practice and not to put it off for some next great fix of entertainment, etc.

Max Nanasy

Postby Max Nanasy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:17 am

Last edited by Max Nanasy on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metta :)

alan

Postby alan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:38 am

The post which many animals are tethered to, each wanting to go to their own desires.
(Many of these are found in one section of the SN.)

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”