Traditions and ideology

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Zom

Re: Traditions and ideology

Post by Zom »

Everything I've read about ancient and modern India suggests a deep respect and tolerance for wandering contemplatives as the focus for generosity, indeed as a life to aspire to.
I told about that elsewhere and will repeat once again - to be tolerant and respectful doesn't mean that we must accept other traditions as correct 8-) There are differences between mayahana and theravada and it is foolish not to notice them.
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Zom wrote:I told about that elsewhere and will repeat once again - to be tolerant and respectful doesn't mean that we must accept other traditions as correct 8-) There are differences between mayahana and theravada and it is foolish not to notice them.
"Differences" do not necessarily mean "incorrect."
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Zom wrote:
Everything I've read about ancient and modern India suggests a deep respect and tolerance for wandering contemplatives as the focus for generosity, indeed as a life to aspire to.
I told about that elsewhere and will repeat once again - to be tolerant and respectful doesn't mean that we must accept other traditions as correct 8-) There are differences between mayahana and theravada and it is foolish not to notice them.
Cafael was trying to say that Indian culture at the time was conducive to the contemplative approach of the early Sangha, I think. Nothing to do with the Thearavada vs Mahayana thingie that you seem to be turning this into. Why don't we exercise some restraint and not derail this topic with ill-conceived sectarianism?

There are other topics for that if one's tempted.
_/|\_
Zom

Post by Zom »

"Differences" do not necessarily mean "incorrect."
Yes. But when something is white, it just can't be black. So there is a need to study a matter carefully.
Why don't we exercise some restraint and not derail this topic with ill-conceived sectarianism
Why do you think that theravada/mahayana topic is "ill-conceived". I see it "well-conceived" (as saw many elders of the past ,)
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

It's off-topic because the focus of this thread is not which tradition is right and which is wrong. It is ill-conceived because I don't see any experience and understanding of what you are attempting to critique here or elsewhere when it comes to Mahayana.
_/|\_
Zom

Post by Zom »

It is ill-conceived because I don't see any experience and understanding of what you are attempting to critique here or elsewhere when it comes to Mahayana.
Because I don't speak about these details here. What I'm pointing at - is that Mahayana and Theravada are different. And all similarities mentioned here are, actually, not similarities between these two, but are similarities between theravada and non-mahayana (for example, sarvastivada). I've said everything, thank you.
Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

Incorrect means a cause of sorrow.

Now it is often easy to be cavalier in asserting that a belief is objectively wrong, because we're just playing our games in the 3D holosphere we call reality. To be called upon to assert whether or not a belief is a cause of sorrow, however, may make one more aware of the burden of responsibility taken on in making such a statement.
The truth is a bully everyone pretends to like.
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.
Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.