Harvard professor describes the 1 particle.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
hermitwin

Harvard professor describes the 1 particle.

Post by hermitwin »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGVEgGyl ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

please be patient, the prof starts speaking at 00:58, in english.
Do you think this is consistent with Buddha's teachings?
hermitwin

Re: Harvard professor describes the 1 particle.

Post by hermitwin »

Just jump to 00:58 seconds.
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

hermitwin wrote:Do you think this is consistent with Buddha's teachings?
It's not inconsistent or incompatible, but from the perspective of the Pāli dhammavinaya and Theravāda soteriology it's largely irrelevant.

Basically, these kinds of ideas resonate better with the thought-world of East Asian Buddhism and Huayan philosophy.
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Who put this video together? Who are these speakers? (I only speak or read English)

If it's based on string theory, it is very, very far from being supported by evidence.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
ignobleone

Post by ignobleone »

Buckwheat wrote:Who put this video together? Who are these speakers? (I only speak or read English)

If it's based on string theory, it is very, very far from being supported by evidence.
when I looked at the face at 3:12, suddenly I knew what the professor has been influenced by. It's based on the cult's teaching taught by Maharishi Mahes Yogi, aka Transcendental Meditation or TM (http://www.tm.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and in theoretical physics it's related to the Unified Field Theory. It's based on Vedic (Hinduism) teaching, and Hinduism is not Buddhism.
For those who don't have any idea about meditation, be careful with TM, you have been warned (minet.org, tmfree.blogspot.com)
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Unified Field Theory refers to unifying the four fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear) into one fundamental force at very high energies, and is not yet fully formulated let alone supported by evidence - although the combining of electo-weak forces does have experimental support. Even more, this theory does not even try to unify all objects in the universe, as far as I can tell from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_field_theory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.