Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ben

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Ben,

WAIT!

No doubt you'll get it cheaper from Book Depository closer to the release date.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Thanks Retro, that's an excellent idea.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Zom

Post by Zom »

Just ordered a copy. I already have the PTS version and refer to it and study it frequently. By far the best Nikaya, in my opinion. The last of the four primary Nikayas to be translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi, he has saved the best for last.
Last? And what about Digha?
David2

Post by David2 »

Last edited by David2 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Maurice Walshe translated the Digha.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
David2

Post by David2 »

tiltbillings wrote:Maurice Walshe translated the Digha.
Woops, I'm sorry for my false information, I still have to read that nikaya.
Last edited by David2 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zom

Post by Zom »

There are some suttas from Digha by Bodhi (like Mahanidana) - and in my opinion they are better than Walshe's.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Zom wrote:There are some suttas from Digha by Bodhi (like Mahanidana) - and in my opinion they are better than Walshe's.
Thank you for sharing your opinion.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

:bow: :bow: :bow:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Zom wrote:
Just ordered a copy. I already have the PTS version and refer to it and study it frequently. By far the best Nikaya, in my opinion. The last of the four primary Nikayas to be translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi, he has saved the best for last.
Last? And what about Digha?
Correct, as you and Tilt noted Maurice Walshe translated the Digha for Wisdom Publications. They all have that nice looking "Teachings of the Buddha" series design on all of the updated translations that I thought for a moment that Bhikkhu Bodhi translated that one too. :tongue: That similar cover design and perhaps that I don't refer back to it as much as the other Nikayas, that I forgot who translated it.
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

Ben wrote:More information: http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display ... n=&image=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wonderful news! :clap: And you can download a 135 page pdf digital preview after ordering!

Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:
"In AN, persons are as a rule not reduced to mere collections of aggregates, elements and sense-bases, but are treated as real centers of living experience engaged in a heartfelt quest for happiness and freedom from suffering."(from Intro to Samyutta Nikaya)

With metta / dhammapal.
xinuflux

Post by xinuflux »

Anyone know if a Kindle version will be available in September? All those footnotes make the electronic version nice to have.
BKh

Post by BKh »

A friend of mine just got this reply from Wisdom regarding the Kindle version...
Ebook version of Anguttara Nikaya will probably be available in November/December.
I'm tempted to start a letter writing campaign to encourage them to make the cross references in the notes and all citations hyper linked.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Suriya

Post by Suriya »

Thank you everyone the welcome and for the good news! Can't wait for the release :toast:
Sarva

Post by Sarva »

I see bookdepository.co.uk have an extra 10% discount this week, I wonder if it will work against the pre-order of the Anguttara.

Which others of Ven. Bodhi's book(s) would anyone recommend as a first or essential purchase?
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Sarva wrote:Which others of Ven. Bodhi's book(s) would anyone recommend as a first or essential purchase?
If you've not yet got the Majjhima & Samyutta Nikaya, they're worth getting.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."