Attn: all Buddhists down under!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

Attn: all Buddhists down under!

Post by DNS »

Attention all Buddhists down under!

I heard that Bhante Punnaji is coming your way! (or may in fact already be there)

I believe his first stop is in Melbourne and then later to New Zealand, then back to Malaysia and Canada.

You don't want to miss seeing and meeting him, if you get the chance! I am not sure which vihara he will be staying at. Perhaps if any Aussies know where, you can post it here.
Ben

Re: Attn: all Buddhists down under!

Post by Ben »

Times like this I wish I was still living on the mainland!
Thanks for letting us know, David.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

April 22 (Sunday) Venerable Madawela Punnaji giving Dhamma talk on Sunday Morning. BSV Meditation Hall 9:30am - 10:30am - http://www.bsv.net.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Looks like he gave one last Sunday at the same venue, and interestingly, the website links to David's Dhammawiki entry on ven. Punnaji)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thanks for posting the date and time for his talk. If you (or anyone else) goes and meets him, please send him my warmest regards.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Don't pass up this opportunity if you are able to attend. You will not regret it. :smile:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I haven't been able to find out anything about engagements in New Zealand so if anybody has information that would be appreciated.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
manas

Post by manas »

David, and retro - thank you so much for that information.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

April 22 (Sunday) Venerable Madawela Punnaji giving Dhamma talk on Sunday Morning. BSV Meditation Hall 9:30am - 10:30am - http://www.bsv.net.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Looks like he gave one last Sunday at the same venue, and interestingly, the website links to David's Dhammawiki entry on ven. Punnaji)

Metta,
Retro. :)
I am thinking of going, but according to the BSV website, there is Ven Jag giving Dhamma talk tomorrow morning, not Ven Punnaji.

Mind you a friend tells me Ven Jag is rather good too, but hey, he is a regular, hence not so special. :)
_/|\_
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

We ended up going anyway! BSV on Sundays seem to be drawing incredible crowds - they certainly need new (or more) space. Ven Punnaji didn't speak but it was an excellent morning service, with meditation in the beginning, the chanting of the Refuge, homage to the Triple Gem, Five Precepts and Metta Sutta followed by the talk by Ven Jag first reading the Uposatha Sutta and then some of his comments and reflections.

Anyone from Melbourne goes or was actually there this morning? We were the couple with an 8-year-old boy sitting on the cushions at the back (the younger ones were with the grandparents today).
Last edited by Dan74 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
_/|\_
Ben

Post by Ben »

I'm glad you went, Dan. Thanks for the update.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Me too, Ben. And I am even more glad that my wife liked it. She isn't exactly a card-carrying Buddhist and the liturgy and the long talk could've easily been too much. But they weren't. :thumbsup:
_/|\_
Ben

Post by Ben »

Fantastic news, Dan!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725