Offering almsfood to monks and nuns

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Guy

Offering almsfood to monks and nuns

Post by Guy »

I am relatively new to Buddhism and would like to know how should I go about offering almsfood? Is there a right/wrong way to do this? I have heard that if I offer fruit I need to pierce the skin first, is this true?

Don't worry I won't offer meat. :pig:
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Dhammanando

Re: Offering almsfood to monks and nuns

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Guy,

This guide by Ven. Ariyesako covers most of the questions that laypeople might have concerning their dealings with bhikkhus:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... guide.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks Dhammanando Bhikkhu. :smile:

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Guy,

Are you talking about offering alms somewhere in W.A.? This may well be a little different to in a traditional Buddhist country.

It might be worth contacting the local vihara, and find out about their processes. They may for example have a roster for dana, sometimes dana will actually be given in a laypersons home if they're invited bhikkhus to do a service etc. If you ask, it will be hard to go wrong and will help prevent your offering going to waste.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Guy

Post by Guy »

Yes, I intend to offer almsfood to Bodhinyana Monastery in WA. I found this has answered most of my questions relating to the local monastery. I will probably ask someone as well when I go there to make sure. Thanks Retro :)

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Guy,

It's excellent when this information is made available online as per the link provided.

It makes things easier, more comfortable and more rewarding for everyone involved.

Good find. :twothumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Guy wrote: Don't worry I won't offer meat. :pig:
It is interesting that you mentioned this, because monks normally abide by the 3 fold rule, but then I went to that link and see that the monks have dropped a nice 'hint' about what they prefer:
What do you bring and how much?

Bring a plate or item of food for the monks/nuns to eat. What you bring and how much you bring is completely up to you. Bring something you think the monks/nuns would like to eat. You might bring enough for say four people, but there is no rule about this. If it is vegetarian this is appreciated but it doesn¹t have to be and the monks/nuns will eat whatever you are generous enough to offer them. It can be a hot dish or a cold dish. Possible suggestions for food include potato casseroles, potato salad, vegetable curry, quiche, eggs in some form, cheese dish, lentil dish, vegetable dishes, fruit salad, bread, a cake, a packet of biscuits, anything is fine. There is no expectation to bring an Asian style dish. If you like Italian, French, German, Turkish or some other style of food it is most welcome. Please feel able to bring whatever you can afford and wish to offer. (There is no need to bring cooked rice as rice is prepared by the Anagarikas, at the monastery.)
In my opinion, that is a great way to drop a hint without making a 'formal' request of what they would prefer.