YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

my goals and ways of practice - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

my goals and ways of practice

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Modus.Ponens

Re: my goals and ways of practice

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:46 pm

You're all very nice people, but I'm disapointed at this forum for these reasons: as the main Theravada forum on the web, our group should be able to give pratical advice on meditation. But every time anybody makes some claim of this or that attainment, they are looked on with suspicion instead of a healthy, grown-up analysis. When jhana is spoken as an experience, there's imediatly somebody begining a what-is-jhana debate. People with meditation experience, instead of welcome, are treated as unwelcome. We just lost another person who has meditation experience. And it's not the first.

This forum is good for theoretical discussions and learning buddhist tenets, but its weak point is discussion of practice, which is the most important part of buddhism. :?

:soap:
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:59 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 am

Greetings MP,

I disagree with your assessment. The OP came looking for advice on meditative experiences and I believe good advice was given and it was given compassionately with the OP in mind. Perhaps it wasn't what the OP was looking for but if we are sincere as practitioners then we will give what is needed.

I wish the OP every success on the path. It is a long path and it is filled with many difficulties. And my advice to Ohnofabrications is no different to any person who may believe they have experienced this or that attainment. Seek a teacher in whom one has confidence, practice diligently under their guidance and focus instead on walking the path rather than exotic experiences.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

ohnofabrications

Postby ohnofabrications » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 am

Last edited by ohnofabrications on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:25 am

Hi ohnofabrications, Modus.Ponens,

Certainly discussing personal meditative experience and getting good advice can be problematical on a forum such as this. Such advice is much easier to communicate in live situation, where one knows the other people, and it is much easier to assess where people are by their body language and so on. In fact, one of the teachers I've had one said he didn't really need to talk to me, just watch me walk into the room...

I am generally wary about saying too much about my detailed experience on forums such as this, but I did get some useful feedback in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11240
I think one of the important things to keep in mind is that if you ask for feedback you may well get feedback you don't expect, or that seems completely off-base. This may be due to a number of things, including the difficulties I alluded to above of others understanding where you really are from words alone...

:anjali:
Mike

ohnofabrications

Postby ohnofabrications » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:32 am

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:40 am

manas

Postby manas » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:04 am

Last edited by manas on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:16 am

manas

Postby manas » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:34 am

Last edited by manas on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:45 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:35 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

ignobleone

Postby ignobleone » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:34 am

I don't mean to start (or continue) a what-is-jhana debate, I just want to address a few very important points regarding jhana validation which are forgotten or unnoticed by many but they are right there in the suttas.
The OP shouldn't think about 2nd jhana and above until s/he has attained the real 1st jhana. Based on what s/he has posted, we need more information before making any judgement.
These three points are for the 1st jhana to arise:
1. Kamasanna ceases: one doesn't perceive things based on the six sense doors respectively.
2. Vaci sankhara ceases. It can be described like this: normally when we perceive something, e.g. by means of our ears we hear a sound, then verbal fabrication arises in the form of inner conversation in our head such as: "a nice music!", "what a noisy truck!", etc. In the 1st jhana since the sensual perception ceases, verbal fabrication should ceases as well.
3. Pitisukha has to be born from the cessation/seclusion/withdrawal. Any pleasant sensation/feeling which arises prior to the cessations is not pitisukha.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:40 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 am

manas

Postby manas » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:59 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:45 pm

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:18 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:51 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

reflection

Postby reflection » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:34 am

Ohno,

Since you won't be reading this response anymore, all that's left for me is to wish you a lot of nice meditation once again in the hope that you might still read this.

Metta,
Reflection

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”