For my friends

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Ben

For my friends

Post by Ben »

Dear friends,

Earlier this week I learned that my good friend and kalayanamitta, SN Goenka's area-teacher for Tasmania, passed away from lung cancer. Steve was only diagnosed earlier this year and faced his prognosis and demise with equanimity.

Each one of us and everyone we know and care about lives with the prospect of death.
Human life is so precious - do what needs to be done.
In the words of the Buddha:
Meditate, Cunda, do not delay, lest you later regret it. This is my message to you.

-- Sallekha Sutta
Wishing you all swift progress on the path and may you all make an end of suffering.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Re: For my friends

Post by DNS »

My condolences, Ben. May he be well and gain fortunate rebirth or liberation.

:candle:
befriend

Post by befriend »

im sorry to hear that. atleast he found the dhamma in this life, and his future conditions will be all the better from his efforts in this life.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

You have my sympathy for your loss, Ben.

:namaste:
Kim
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
sattva

Post by sattva »

Ben,
Sorry for the loss of your friend....
with a hug,
Louise
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you all, but I am ok.
I started the thread for your benefit - not mine.
I wanted to remind you of the necessity to do what needs to be done.
As my teacher says: Make best use of your time!
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Thank you for the reminder Ben. I have to go to the lungs doctor today and jeah, i better start meditating more before it's too late.

Best wishes,
Alobha
manas

Post by manas »

Hi Ben

truly, every day could be our last

if today was to be our last day

how would we liked to have spent it?

Thank you for that personal reminder that people do actually die, every day and almost constantly, despite our habitual denial that it could actually happen to us, and at a time not of our choosing, in fact - every breath we draw in, could be our last

must practice with more ardency

namaste _/I\_
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Sarva

Post by Sarva »

Ben wrote:Thank you all, but I am ok.
I started the thread for your benefit - not mine.
I wanted to remind you of the necessity to do what needs to be done.
As my teacher says: Make best use of your time!
with metta,

Ben
Perhaps it would be useful to expose that which stops us from progressing on the noble path? It shouldn't come as anything new, however things tend to be less potent under the light of inquiry.

Sometimes it is hesitation to ask questions, should they be considered too simple or repetitive or not valuable by others. (moha)
Sometimes it is the challenge of making extra effort, to formulate the ideas, meditate or read more? (dosa)
Sometimes it is the sense of "self identity" which makes us feel shy, embarrassed, lonely or insufficient for achieving the noble goal. (lobha)

It certainly seems to me that beyond the practically daily issues of free time, money, work and family etc, we are also facing the same 'enemies' in daily tasks and in our practice as we are trying to rid ourselves of i.e. moha - ignorance, loba - craving/attachment and dosa - aversion.

metta
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86