Does age matter?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Lombardi4

Does age matter?

Post by Lombardi4 »

It seems like most great monks ordained quite young, mostly in their early 20s. Does this mean that the younger one ordains the better, or is age completely irrelevant?
Cittasanto

Re: Does age matter?

Post by Cittasanto »

Who are you thinking of?

Age is not a matter to greatness, and there are monks I have met whom ordained in their 50's or 60's who in my opinion are great, yet not well known.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Stefan wrote:It seems like most great monks ordained quite young, mostly in their early 20s. Does this mean that the younger one ordains the better, or is age completely irrelevant?
It's probably more to do with social norms in traditionally Buddhist countries (boys going into monasteries and either ordaining or leaving around the time they reach adulthood) and the 'search for identity' among young Westerners who often spend the years from 15 - 25 working who they are and what they want to do, and then settling into whatever role they have chosen.
If Westerners radically change direction after the age of 35 it's called a mid-life crisis :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kim O'Hara wrote:If Westerners radically change direction after the age of 35 it's called a mid-life crisis
That would be about right for Ajahn Sumedho.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
David2

Post by David2 »

Kim O'Hara wrote: It's probably more to do with social norms in traditionally Buddhist countries (boys going into monasteries and either ordaining or leaving around the time they reach adulthood) and the 'search for identity' among young Westerners who often spend the years from 15 - 25 working who they are and what they want to do,
That's called quarter-life crisis.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

tiltbillings wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:If Westerners radically change direction after the age of 35 it's called a mid-life crisis
That would be about right for Ajahn Sumedho.
I did say it's *called* a mid-life crisis.

:namaste:
Kim
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Stefan wrote:It seems like most great monks ordained quite young, mostly in their early 20s. Does this mean that the younger one ordains the better, or is age completely irrelevant?
Do you want to be great? wouldn't it be better to be content? I don't think any of these monks would consider themselves great, but I guess those who have been in robes longer have had more opportunity to teach and help others, that's not so much great but it's really nice.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

The reason for becoming a great (=wise?) monk is not the age of ordination, but the deveolpment of panna, sila and samadhi througout life(s). One can develop these qualities regardless of whether one is ordained or not.

It may sound reasonable to think that western monks who ordain early, might have already been practicing very intense before ordination. I get the idea, but this is not necessarily the case.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

In a Tricycle interview several years back, Thich Nhat Hanh is reported to have said that it is better to ordain young, before so many defilements and 'baggage' has set-in. I think that could be a good point, but I believe it has more to do with the individual person and the contents of the mind/consciousness. For example, a monk who ordains young at say age 12 or 13 might wonder and even regret about not trying out the householder life. Thoughts like 'what might I have been, what might I have achieved, what might it have been like to have a son or a daughter . . . '

The greatest monk I ever met and have known is Ven. Punnaji and he ordained at age 38 after a householder life as a physician.
alan

Post by alan »

Ayya Khema ordained in her mid-fifties. I think her extraordinary life previous to becoming a teacher was one of the reasons she was so effective, and her writing so crisp.
alan

Post by alan »

No disrespect to TNH, but "baggage" is something you deal with in real life--by accepting your shortcomings and working on them. Just seems way too easy to sit in the monastery without ever creating a life for yourself: Without ever finding what you do best, and how to go about doing it.
As for defilements, they can be worked on, too, in real life. Confronting the reality of our own weaknesses and desires as adults seems to me to be far more useful than hiding away in a monastic setting. When the time comes, and if it is right for your path, do it. Until then create your own peace in every moment. Put the teachings into practice, even when it is hot, noisy and crowded. Even when people really bug you. Even when you'd rather do something else!
A lifetime of sitting won't be of value if you can't do that.
David2

Post by David2 »

alan wrote:Confronting the reality of our own weaknesses and desires as adults seems to me to be far more useful than hiding away in a monastic setting.
Well, seriously practicing monastics do confront the reality more than lay people do.
Still, the N8P is a gradual path, not every one is ready to jump into the deepest waters of the Dhamma-ocean in no time.
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

age doesnt matter,it only matter how much time you are meditating (1 year,2 years) and how.
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without