Practising buddhism on a daily basis

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Practising buddhism on a daily basis

Postby YouthThunder » Thu May 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Basically how do you practise buddhism on a daily basis? (especially for beginners?)

:alien:

With metta.
YouthThunder

Re: Practising buddhism on a daily basis

Postby Sam Vara » Thu May 03, 2012 2:42 pm

My advice would be to carry on doing exactly what you are doing, but keep the precepts while doing it.
Sam Vara

Postby Dan74 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:53 pm

One practice I have been doing for many years is to return attention to my breath as often as I can until I can maintain some awareness of it constantly. Really helps develop some equanimity!

I started off my remembering to bring attention to the breath every time I was waiting for something. Then when I was changing from one activity to another. Then try to recall it even briefly every hour. Every half an hour. Etc.
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby YouthThunder » Thu May 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Dan74 wrote:One practice I have been doing for many years is to return attention to my breath as often as I can until I can maintain some awareness of it constantly. Really helps develop some equanimity!

I started off my remembering to bring attention to the breath every time I was waiting for something. Then when I was changing from one activity to another. Then try to recall it even briefly every hour. Every half an hour. Etc.

But when I try to return attention to my breath as often as I can ,such thoughts appear to me: "I am mindful","I am trying to be mindful by returning my attention to my breath","I am not mindful by thinking of these thoughts".
YouthThunder

Postby Dan74 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Well, that's what happens in meditation often as well. No biggie! Just note and return to the breath. Eventually the mind will get tired of the same old pattern and will settle on the breath (in meditation). In daily life when it's only for a short time in the midst of other things, it can be very interesting to observe the rhythm and the depth of breathing and note the correspondence to emotional states. Above all, no point worrying or stressing about it.
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby befriend » Thu May 03, 2012 4:11 pm

look for good deeds to do and rejoice in there wholesomeness. playing with my dog because he is a being that i can make happy.
befriend

Postby YouthThunder » Thu May 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Dan74 wrote:Well, that's what happens in meditation often as well. No biggie! Just note and return to the breath. Eventually the mind will get tired of the same old pattern and will settle on the breath (in meditation). In daily life when it's only for a short time in the midst of other things, it can be very interesting to observe the rhythm and the depth of breathing and note the correspondence to emotional states. Above all, no point worrying or stressing about it.

Ok
So are we are going to get better and better as time goes on until we reach some level of ......something?lol

Sam Vega wrote:My advice would be to carry on doing exactly what you are doing, but keep the precepts while doing it.

At first,I thought this would be easy,but man I <3 music and stuffs like that lol.

befriend wrote:look for good deeds to do and rejoice in there wholesomeness. playing with my dog because he is a being that i can make happy.

Seems quite simple and universal but I get what you mean.
YouthThunder

Postby polarbuddha101 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 pm

YouthThunder wrote:
Dan74 wrote:Well, that's what happens in meditation often as well. No biggie! Just note and return to the breath. Eventually the mind will get tired of the same old pattern and will settle on the breath (in meditation). In daily life when it's only for a short time in the midst of other things, it can be very interesting to observe the rhythm and the depth of breathing and note the correspondence to emotional states. Above all, no point worrying or stressing about it.

Ok
So are we are going to get better and better as time goes on until we reach some level of ......something?lol

Sam Vega wrote:My advice would be to carry on doing exactly what you are doing, but keep the precepts while doing it.

At first,I thought this would be easy,but man I <3 music and stuffs like that lol.

befriend wrote:look for good deeds to do and rejoice in there wholesomeness. playing with my dog because he is a being that i can make happy.

I think he meant the 5 precepts youth thunder, you can still enjoy music and other stuff
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
polarbuddha101

Postby YouthThunder » Thu May 03, 2012 8:13 pm

polarbuddha101 wrote:
YouthThunder wrote:

Ok

I think he meant the 5 precepts youth thunder, you can still enjoy music and other stuff

Yeah,maybe he meant that lol
:alien: :alien:
YouthThunder

Postby danieLion » Fri May 04, 2012 5:11 am

depends on what you mean by "buddhism"
danieLion

Postby YouthThunder » Fri May 04, 2012 2:50 pm

danieLion wrote:depends on what you mean by "buddhism"

The part of things Buddha taught that is useful and wholesome to us while we can attest to it being right after sufficient practise.
YouthThunder

Postby alan » Fri May 04, 2012 5:48 pm

You do it because it is necessary. You don't wake up and wander around without putting on clothes; you don't forget to eat. Consider practice in this way.
alan

Postby BKh » Fri May 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Reading day by day through a collection of suttas can give some structure to your wholesome intentions. It will also broaden and deepen your understanding of what practice is.
http://www.readingfaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas
http://www.audtip.org Audio Sutta Recordings
BKh

Postby bodom » Fri May 04, 2012 8:40 pm

YouthThunder wrote:Basically how do you practise buddhism on a daily basis? (especially for beginners?)

With metta.

There is nothing mysterious or complicated about practicing the Buddha's teachings. In fact the whole path of practice can be summarized in one sentence:

"Do good, refrain from doing evil, and purify the mind - this is the teaching of all the Buddhas." - Dhp 183

:smile:

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Kim OHara » Sat May 05, 2012 4:06 am

bodom wrote:
"Do good, refrain from doing evil, and purify the mind - this is the teaching of all the Buddhas." - Dhp 183

:smile:

:anjali:

I like that one, too. :smile:
Expanding on it just a little bit:
Do good - treating other people as you would wish them to treat you is a good start.
Refrain from doing evil - the five precepts are a good start.
Purify the mind - first observe the mind to see what's going on in there, and then start throwing out the rubbish :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby danieLion » Sat May 05, 2012 10:28 pm

YouthThunder wrote:
danieLion wrote:depends on what you mean by "buddhism"

The part of things Buddha taught that is useful and wholesome to us while we can attest to it being right after sufficient practise.

Wow. I actually like this "definition." Thanks.
danieLion

Postby Yana » Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 am

YouthThunder wrote:Basically how do you practise buddhism on a daily basis? (especially for beginners?)

With metta.

Well I became a Buddhist at the start of this year.

I have this time i set twice a day.Mornign and night time.

I usually do some Recollections.
Contemplate and write in my journal about my life.
Study The Dhamma..or Buddhist teachings...usually i just download it from the internet.
Then meditate.Just Anapanasati and Metta.I don't want to do Vipasanna yet because i'm new and would like to train my mind to be calm first.
Then i make a list of good things i have to do and dedicate the good merit to the enlightment of all sentient beings. :smile:
Life is preparing for Death
Yana

Postby retrofuturist » Wed May 09, 2012 5:36 am

Greetings YouthThunder,

In my mind, it's the same answer whether you're a beginner or a non-returner...

The Noble Eightfold Path, as best as you can follow it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby befriend » Wed May 09, 2012 12:03 pm

discover your flaws, and focus on improving them with recollections
develop a philosophy that is in tune with reality but make sure you feel it in your heart for example, understand all beings are deluded why would them acting deluded make you angry and hateful
dont be lazy laziness is easy but leads to suffering
like ajahn chah says whatever your ego mind wants to do, do the opposite
make a schedule this will discipline the mind and surprisingly make it more free
befriend

Postby karunametta » Wed May 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Follow the 5 precepts to your best ability (right speech is taking me longest to develop, sometimes i'll slip and say a harsh word or gossip)
Try to maintain a consistent meditation practice (once or twice a day)
Try to be as mindful as possible throughout the day (in all postures)
Give best attempt to develop wholesome things
Give best attempt to refrain from unwholesome things
Try to be as compassionate as possible to all beings
Try to use all situations to practice equanimity.
Try to be a positive force in the lives of those around you. (try to be as altruistic as possible: hold doors, make time to help others, let people borrow my stuff, etc...)

This is essentially my "daily practice". Although I've only been practicing since November of last year, these things are finally starting to feel "natural", which is a great feeling :)
karunametta

Next

Return to Theravāda for the modern world