Have we been to all the realms?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Is there a sutta that says that we have all been to all (31?) realms in this long course of samsara (except, of course, the suddhavasa, which is reserved for anagamis only)?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Have we been to all the realms?

Post by DNS »

When I saw the title of the thread the first thing that came to mind was the Pure Abodes, but I see you already thought of them.

The Pure Abodes are the realms none of us have been to, including the Buddha because once there (anagamis) enlightenment is guaranteed and thus, nibbana.

As far as the rest, I don't know, perhaps an imponderable.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

David N. Snyder wrote:perhaps an imponderable.
As it happens:
MN 2 wrote:"This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Well, if rebirth is true then we've all been around for an incalculable amount of aeons. So, the answer is probably.
Last edited by Polar Bear on Sat May 05, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

As Dave notes:
daverupa wrote:
MN 2 wrote:"This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past?
fabricating an "I" from the past (or the present, for that matter) is a mistake. Therefore, the question:
is fatally flawed ( :tongue: ).

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Actually, perhaps my (and Dave's) post is a little off-topic, since the Buddha does use conventional language in a number of suttas, such as:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At Savatthi. There the Blessed One said: "From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. A being who has not been your mother at one time in the past is not easy to find... A being who has not been your father... your brother... your sister... your son... your daughter at one time in the past is not easy to find.

"Why is that? From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. Long have you thus experienced stress, experienced pain, experienced loss, swelling the cemeteries — enough to become disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released."
However, I think one should carefully consider what such Suttas are designed to teach to the listeners, bearing in mind the sutta that Dave quoted.

:anjali:
Mike