Ajahn Brahm, unconventional

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
greggorious

Ajahn Brahm, unconventional

Postby greggorious » Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Is Ajahn Brahm quite an unconventional Buddhist teacher? He seems to enjoy speculating about how existence, why we're here, the nature of the universe, other religions. I guess the fact that he was a physicist has something to do with it. He also talks of reincarnation a lot, but rarely mentions the word rebirth, and he always talks of it in human terms, i.e we always reincarnate back to another human for another adventure.
From a lot of the stuff I've read on this site, he seems to have a quite different approach in his personal interpretation of Buddhism.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

polarbear101

Re: Ajahn Brahm, unconventional

Postby polarbear101 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:12 pm

he also sincerely believes that levitation is possible
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm

In the last podcast I listened to he spoke about friendly Ghosts too :D
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

santa100

Postby santa100 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:29 pm

I'd focus on those lectures that benefit me and not worry too much about those that don't. Ajahn Brahm did give many wonderful lectures on insight and meditation. Here're a few. Enjoy..

1. Joy At Last to Know THere's No Happiness in the World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex5a4a40k6s
2. Anapanasati Guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTWDEzbRza4
3. No Fear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIMWm5JnNrE

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Sat May 05, 2012 10:33 pm

I'm not complaining. I like it when Buddhist teachers have their own slant on things and not just quote the Pali Canon all the time. Is it because he practices in the Thai tradition? They don't focus on the canon do they? I guess they're a bit like Zen in Mahayana, they don't concentrate on the mahayana sutra's. Or do I have that completely wrong?

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat May 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Ajahn Brahmavamso is unique — just like everyone else.

The Simile of the Good House

A man needs to build a house in the forest, and enters the forest in search of timber. If he can get all beams, posts, floorboards, planks, and shingles from a single tree, this is the best, and ideal. If he is unable to find such a tree, he should not fail to build his house. He must use whatever timber he can get from various trees that he finds. He must build his house anyhow by all means because not having a dwelling place leads to all kinds of trouble and hardship. (Source: , Ledi Sayadaw)

Since different teachers have various good and bad qualities, one should take whatever is useful from each for one's own practice, and ignore any bad qualities. Focusing on any perceived bad qualities will be detrimental, and in so doing one will overlook what is beneficial.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Sun May 06, 2012 12:18 am

What would constitute as a bad quality in a teacher? I don't mean obvious things like breaking precepts, but in their own way of teaching?

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:22 am

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

bodom

Postby bodom » Sun May 06, 2012 12:25 am

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Sun May 06, 2012 2:19 am

MrsCogan

Postby MrsCogan » Sun May 06, 2012 2:33 am

Rewriting the Buddha, an Essay
Free download here:

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:56 am

Last edited by polarbear101 on Sun May 06, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhamma_newb

Postby dhamma_newb » Sun May 06, 2012 2:57 am

The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:01 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sun May 06, 2012 4:52 am

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:12 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 06, 2012 7:35 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun May 06, 2012 7:47 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun May 06, 2012 7:59 am

The Path of Discrimination (Patisambhidamagga by Sariputta) p. 372, para XXI 17. "With much laughter, blitheness, content and gladness he realizes the ultimate meaning, nibbana, thus it is laughing understanding.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:32 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”