YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Ajahn Brahm, unconventional - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Ajahn Brahm, unconventional

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
rowboat

Re: Ajahn Brahm, unconventional

Postby rowboat » Sun May 06, 2012 8:40 am

Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Sun May 06, 2012 8:47 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun May 06, 2012 8:55 am

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:01 am

1) yes, observing things at the quantum level effects the way particles (waves, unknown third option) act

2) I agree, the Buddha did not lie

3) maybe levitation is possible but all my experience and the generally accepted law of gravity indicates otherwise and I cannot personally conceive of the human mind creating the energy needed for the lift it would take to get off the ground. Plus, I'm pretty sure Theravada buddhism rejects philosophical idealism

4) I just thought it unconventional for an englishman to speak about such things because it seems like it would be more of a turnoff to people than something exciting (especially when nobody actually comes out and levitates in public as far as I know these days) since modern day people want hard evidence (for the most part)

5) No, I don't think AB should become a modernist-materialist just because he's a physicist

6) yes, the views among buddhists vary considerably

7) I apologize for bringing up some needless controversy

8) I'm done posting about such speculatory topics

9) :namaste:

wow, new posts keep coming while I write this

I guess I'll find out for my own someday whether levitation is real or not
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

rowboat

Postby rowboat » Sun May 06, 2012 9:08 am

Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:08 am

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 am

The idea that we should ignore the bad qualities/odd views of those in position of authority is really, in my opinion, not great advice.

In my opinion some of what most teachers teach deserves to be flagged up/questioned. There should be no fear or intimidation in either direction and should be part of the learning process for all involved.

:anjali:

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun May 06, 2012 9:21 am

David2

Postby David2 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:24 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 06, 2012 9:26 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Sun May 06, 2012 9:27 am

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Sun May 06, 2012 9:28 am

David2

Postby David2 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:30 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 06, 2012 10:17 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Sun May 06, 2012 11:10 am

Cittasanto, I think you need to refer to my original post. :)

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 06, 2012 11:29 am

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Sun May 06, 2012 11:45 am

Cittasanto, why I said refer to my original post was because it seems the "catholic church" is a distraction. What my point was is that to ignore bad qualities is not in my opinion always good advice.

PS It is not my opinion that Tilt should be the final arbiter on what is an odd view ;)

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:56 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Sun May 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”