Pali-English chanting (WPN)

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
gavesako

Pali-English chanting (WPN)

Post by gavesako »

New chants as done at Wat Pah Nanachat:

http://www.watpahnanachat.org/Mp3/Chanting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
abhishek_laser

Re: Pali-English chanting (WPN)

Post by abhishek_laser »

The chants are extremely inspiring. It would be good if the chanting at Wat Pah Nanachat has more chanting posted regularly like this. It would be of great beneficial. It was very beneficial for me.
Thank You very much, Ven. Ajahn Gavesako.
Last edited by abhishek_laser on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

This is neat stuff. Never heard english chanting before, and the WPN monks sound like pros.
Thanks for pointing this out, Bhante.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Beneath the Wheel

Post by Beneath the Wheel »

How "standard" is the chanting that is done in Thai monasteries? I realize that WPN has some english portions, but as for monasteries where chanting is done entirely in Pali, is there a kind of conventional repertoire that is fairly constant for morning/evening chanting, recollections, etc?

I'm going to be (hopefully) going to Thailand to visit a few monasteries next fall and I'd like to be able to participate in such things so I'm looking for sites that might point me in that direction. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to WPN for this particular trip.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Beneath the Wheel,

I gather that that the basic morning and evening chants are fairly standard. You can find them, and most other common chants here:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... nting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At my local Wat they do the basic morning and evening chant in morning and evening (:tongue:).
In the morning it's usually followed by:
Buddha-jaya-maṅgala Gāthā (The Verses of the Buddha's Auspicious Victories)
Jaya Paritta (The Victory Protection)
some other things I have not identified.
A variation of The Sublime Attitudes

In the evening they do various things, and often a discourse (usually one of the first three discourses).

If you take along a printed book in Pali/English, such as the one I've linked to above, and are a little familiar with what I've mentioned above and the other chants in the "Reflections" section you'll probably recognize quite a bit.

It's a nice feature that it doesn't matter so much what your usual language is if everyone is chanting in Pali. You can do the Pali chant and read the translation in your own language... :reading:

:anjali:
Mike
abhishek_laser

Post by abhishek_laser »

Dear Venerable Ven. Ajahn Gavesako,

In wat pah nanachat's website, it is mentioned that "The books, the audio- and video-recordings contained on this website may be copied for individual use, but for further redistribution you need to request permission from:

The Abbot,
Wat Pah Nanachat
Bahn Bung Wai"

I having been planning to give a disc containing these chantings to a monastery where it will be played in the main hall.
Also I would like to put these chantings into a disc which I give for free distribution which contains other dhamma talks as well.
So can you please let me know if I can go ahead with the above two ways of distributing the chanting.
I'm sorry for asking this over the internet, since sending a letter to the monastery and receiving a reply would take a long time.

Thanks and Regards,
Abhishek V
Last edited by abhishek_laser on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

abhishek_laser wrote:Dear Venerable Bhikkhu Gavesako,

In wat pah nanachat's website, it is mentioned that "The books, the audio- and video-recordings contained on this website may be copied for individual use, but for further redistribution you need to request permission from:

The Abbot,
Wat Pah Nanachat
Bahn Bung Wai"

I having been planning to give a disc containing these chantings to a monastery where it will be played in the main hall.
Also I would like to put these chantings into a disc which I give for free distribution which contains other dhamma talks as well.
So can you please let me know if I can go ahead with the above two ways of distributing the chanting.
I'm sorry for asking this over the internet, since sending a letter to the monastery and receiving a reply would take a long time.

Thanks and Regards,
Abhishek V
Ajahn Gavesako isn't at WPN, nor the Abbot, you would need to contact WPN & Ajahn Kevali (I think it is at the moment) directly!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
abhishek_laser

Post by abhishek_laser »

Dear Ven. Ajahn Gavesako,

I would like to ask for forgiveness from Ven. Ajahn Gavesako, for wrongly typing his name as Venerable Bhikkhu Gavesako instead of Ven. Ajahn Gavesako. It is very very important to refer to monks with the titles that they have been rewarded.

With Metta,
Abhishek

Thank You Cittasanto, for pointing out my mistake.
Last edited by abhishek_laser on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Very inspiring. Thank you for posting :anjali:

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I just found it.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.