Meditation Style

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
DhammaDoug

Meditation Style

Post by DhammaDoug »

I am a new meditator and have just finished Yuttadhammos YouTube series of instructional videos. I have tried noting thoughts when I breathe (sayin Rising, Falling). When I get lost in thought I try to note it when I realize I've lost focus (saying Thinking, or Doubting, etc). Is this the correct manner to start? How do you recommend a new meditator develop a regular schedule?
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Meditation Style

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes though, that's a great starting point. Remember, however, that Yuttadhammo teaches only one of many different approaches to meditation. Another great book-length examination of Vipassana is Mindfulness in Plain English:

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfuln ... nglish.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another great resource:

http://www.vipassanadhura.com/howto.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for a schedule, try for two times a day, even if those two times are pretty short. Even 20 minutes twice a day can do wonders!

Here's a collection of timers to use if it helps:

http://audiodharma.org/series/213/talk/2908/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck DhammaDoug!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
DhammaDoug

Post by DhammaDoug »

Very excellent resources, thank you! I watched (rather, I am watching) the video from the second link and it is very clear. I am confident I am doing a fairly accurate job in my meditations. I have a loose intellectual understanding of what/why I'm doing this, but if somebody really pressed me on what will come of regular practice I'm not sure I deeply understand. How is it that making these observations I will 'advance'? I don't mean to trivialize, I am convinced it's the right thing to do and very much enjoy it--but I'm trying to understand more deeply if possible. Do you know of a resource that can really explain what is gained through regular practice, and perhaps regular stages of advancement?
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

DhammaDoug wrote:Very excellent resources, thank you! I watched (rather, I am watching) the video from the second link and it is very clear. I am confident I am doing a fairly accurate job in my meditations. I have a loose intellectual understanding of what/why I'm doing this, but if somebody really pressed me on what will come of regular practice I'm not sure I deeply understand. How is it that making these observations I will 'advance'? I don't mean to trivialize, I am convinced it's the right thing to do and very much enjoy it--but I'm trying to understand more deeply if possible. Do you know of a resource that can really explain what is gained through regular practice, and perhaps regular stages of advancement?
In Buddhist thought, all existent things bear the three marks, which are impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, and lack of essential self. We suffer because we cling to these impermanent, unsatisfactory, selfless things as though they were permanent, satisfying, and imbued with self. Our possessions, our ideas, our bodies, our very selves, we think "this is permanent and satisfactory and me" and because of this delusion, we suffer terribly when the truth asserts itself. Any time we cling to something or run from something, we suffer. If we cling to a new car we just bought, we suffer horribly when it inevitably breaks down. If we say "I need my health to be happy," then we suffer terribly when our health inevitably fails. In the same way, when we react with aversion to pain, we suffer terribly when it inevitably arrives. If we say, "I cannot be happy with a loss in my life," then we suffer terribly when that loss inevitably arises.

The root of all of this is delusion; we interact with the world on a conceptual level, seeing things are permanent and satisfying and imbued with self and we cling because we are not looking at their true nature. Vipassana is a tool to do that. It helps us to see clearly the impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, and lack of essential self that manifests in literally every single thing we encounter, from the mountains and streams to our possessions to our very bodies and thoughts. As we mindfully observe our body, our sensations, our mind, and our mental objects, we can begin to realize that, because these things are not permanent or satisfying or "us," there is no need to cling. We can begin to purify our minds in this way. Soon, as our mindfulness develops, we can begin to not generate sankharas (the volitional mental actions of clinging or aversion that we generate through ignorance) when we interact with the world around us. This leads to detachment, peace, happiness, and eventually, the destruction of all greed, hatred, and aversion, which is nibbana.

So basically, the short-term goal of meditation is that it allows us to be more peaceful and to better understand the nature of the world around us. The long term goal is the elimination of our craving and aversion through the destruction of ignorance.

This is at least how I understand it. Feel free to correct me if there are any mistakes in there, I hope I'm not misleading anyone.

Remember, however, that it is far more important to sit in meditation than it is to examine these things intellectually past even the most basic point. Buddhism isn't about intellectual games; it's about direct experience.

gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

DhammaDoug

Post by DhammaDoug »

Thank you.
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Of course.

One of the members here, Bhikku Pesala, has a website that contains many writings by Mahasi Sayadaw, who is the progenitor of the tradition that Yuttadhammo practices in. If you're interested in learning more, check out:

http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Mahasi/Pra ... tical.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I'm sure Bhante Pesala would not mind a private message if you ever have questions about the technique.

gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Make sure to check out Thanissaro Bikhu's informative and inspiring 15 min talks.

http://dhammatalks.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have tried a few methods including Mahasi, but its the Ajahn Lee method as taught by Thanissaro Bikhu that I have had the most success. Its basically breath meditation(any part you feel it) combined with whole body awareness to maintain mindfulness throughout the day.

Whole body awareness is the only method that I have been successful with in maintaining mindfulness when I am working at the computer all day.

The whole body is easier to hold your attention to and it feels good. My attention is split between computer screen and the body, and if I focus more on the body I can even feel blissful states while at work :twothumbsup:

For me, it was a real breakthrough to discover a method that allows me to meditate all the time.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

as you are new to meditation try to stick to one teachers instructions.
Venerable Yuttadhammo is contactable if you have any questions.

Pick a time you think you can keep to meditation each day, be it in the early morning, afternoon, or evening, and every day keep to that time, or their about, for starting formal meditation.

Having to many methods at the beginning can confuse the practise, and as you already have started using one teachers instructions stick with them for a while.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill