Practising buddhism on a daily basis

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
danieLion

Re: Practising buddhism on a daily basis

Post by danieLion »

YouthThunder wrote:
danieLion wrote:depends on what you mean by "buddhism"
The part of things Buddha taught that is useful and wholesome to us while we can attest to it being right after sufficient practise.
Wow. I actually like this "definition." Thanks.
Yana

Post by Yana »

YouthThunder wrote:Basically how do you practise buddhism on a daily basis? (especially for beginners?)

:alien:

With metta.
Well I became a Buddhist at the start of this year.

I have this time i set twice a day.Mornign and night time.

I usually do some Recollections.
Contemplate and write in my journal about my life.
Study The Dhamma..or Buddhist teachings...usually i just download it from the internet.
Then meditate.Just Anapanasati and Metta.I don't want to do Vipasanna yet because i'm new and would like to train my mind to be calm first.
Then i make a list of good things i have to do and dedicate the good merit to the enlightment of all sentient beings. :smile:
Life is preparing for Death
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings YouthThunder,
YouthThunder wrote:Basically how do you practise buddhism on a daily basis? (especially for beginners?)
In my mind, it's the same answer whether you're a beginner or a non-returner...

The Noble Eightfold Path, as best as you can follow it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
befriend

Post by befriend »

discover your flaws, and focus on improving them with recollections
develop a philosophy that is in tune with reality but make sure you feel it in your heart for example, understand all beings are deluded why would them acting deluded make you angry and hateful
dont be lazy laziness is easy but leads to suffering
like ajahn chah says whatever your ego mind wants to do, do the opposite
make a schedule this will discipline the mind and surprisingly make it more free
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
karunametta

Post by karunametta »

Follow the 5 precepts to your best ability (right speech is taking me longest to develop, sometimes i'll slip and say a harsh word or gossip)
Try to maintain a consistent meditation practice (once or twice a day)
Try to be as mindful as possible throughout the day (in all postures)
Give best attempt to develop wholesome things
Give best attempt to refrain from unwholesome things
Try to be as compassionate as possible to all beings
Try to use all situations to practice equanimity.
Try to be a positive force in the lives of those around you. (try to be as altruistic as possible: hold doors, make time to help others, let people borrow my stuff, etc...)

This is essentially my "daily practice". Although I've only been practicing since November of last year, these things are finally starting to feel "natural", which is a great feeling :)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I try to follow this
Dhp183.
sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ, kusalassa upasampadā.
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ: etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.
Do not preform any unskilled acts, skilful acts are the way of a mendicant.
So purify your own mind of defilements: this is the wisdom the Buddhas teach.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

Yana wrote:

:alien:

With metta.
Well I became a Buddhist at the start of this year.

I have this time i set twice a day.Mornign and night time.

I usually do some Recollections.
Contemplate and write in my journal about my life.
Study The Dhamma..or Buddhist teachings...usually i just download it from the internet.
Then meditate.Just Anapanasati and Metta.I don't want to do Vipasanna yet because i'm new and would like to train my mind to be calm first.
Then i make a list of good things i have to do and dedicate the good merit to the enlightment of all sentient beings. :smile:
What are recollections?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

A Study Guide on the Ten Recollections
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/stud ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

Btw,are we supposed to be mindful all the time?Doesn't that make us not planning anything at all?Mindful means "flow" or does it mean be aware of everything?When doing things like listening to music for example I rather let my fantasy run wild instead being "aware" of everyhting around us.%%%
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

The The Layperson's Code of Discipline is a good starter as well as the Dighajanu (Vyagghapajja) Sutta then you could go to Abhisanda Sutta: Rewards not to forget Dana
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_