Practising buddhism on a daily basis

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Re: Practising buddhism on a daily basis

Postby Cittasanto » Wed May 09, 2012 7:39 pm

I try to follow this
Dhp183.
sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ, kusalassa upasampadā.
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ: etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.
Do not preform any unskilled acts, skilful acts are the way of a mendicant.
So purify your own mind of defilements: this is the wisdom the Buddhas teach.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby YouthThunder » Fri May 18, 2012 10:34 am

Yana wrote:
YouthThunder wrote:Basically how do you practise buddhism on a daily basis? (especially for beginners?)

:alien:

With metta.

Well I became a Buddhist at the start of this year.

I have this time i set twice a day.Mornign and night time.

I usually do some Recollections.
Contemplate and write in my journal about my life.
Study The Dhamma..or Buddhist teachings...usually i just download it from the internet.
Then meditate.Just Anapanasati and Metta.I don't want to do Vipasanna yet because i'm new and would like to train my mind to be calm first.
Then i make a list of good things i have to do and dedicate the good merit to the enlightment of all sentient beings. :smile:

What are recollections?
YouthThunder

Postby mikenz66 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:08 pm

A Study Guide on the Ten Recollections
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/stud ... tions.html

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby YouthThunder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:08 pm

Btw,are we supposed to be mindful all the time?Doesn't that make us not planning anything at all?Mindful means "flow" or does it mean be aware of everything?When doing things like listening to music for example I rather let my fantasy run wild instead being "aware" of everyhting around us.%%%
YouthThunder

Postby Hanzze » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:16 am

The The Layperson's Code of Discipline is a good starter as well as the Dighajanu (Vyagghapajja) Sutta then you could go to Abhisanda Sutta: Rewards not to forget Dana
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Previous

Return to Theravāda for the modern world