Buddhist encounters in Portugal

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Modus.Ponens

Re: Buddhist encounters in Portugal

Post by Modus.Ponens »

cooran wrote:Hello pilgrim,

Maybe the Clustr Map on the lower left side of the Front page of DhammaWheel?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
Correct.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

More information on the new Monastery in Portugal: http://www.blog.mosteirobudista.com/?cat=3
With Metta
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Obrigado Rui. :smile:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Ben

Post by Ben »

Rui Sousa wrote:More information on the new Monastery in Portugal: http://www.blog.mosteirobudista.com/?cat=3
Great news, Rui!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

Last Tuesday, the 8th of May, Ajahn Jayasaro visited Portugal to support the initiative of setting up the monastery.

At the Portuguese Buddhist Union he gave a meditation workshop that started at 14:30 and ended at about 19:00, at 19:30 another session was planned, ending at 21:30. I was there at 19:30, and left at 22:00.

While I was there the Ajahn gave a very interesting Dhamma talk, and mentioned how enthusiastic his Thai supporters are about this new monastery. I believe more than 50 people were there during this second session. And a small delay occurred because the room had to be rearranged to assure everyone had a place to sit.

It was a very happy event for me. For the first time I was in the presence of an ordained monk. His calmness, clear speech and friendliness cause a deep impact in me.

I hope the number of people present at the event is a good indication of the support the monks will have in Portugal. I will support them in any way I can.

Metta
With Metta
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I only had a brief encounter With Ajahn Jayasaro, and he is a very good Monk for a first Encounter!
:anjali:

He is senior to Ajahn Vajiro the soon to be senior Monastic at the Portuguese monastery by about 30seconds at most (at a guess) they were ordained at the same time.
Rui Sousa wrote:Last Tuesday, the 8th of May, Ajahn Jayasaro visited Portugal to support the initiative of setting up the monastery.

At the Portuguese Buddhist Union he gave a meditation workshop that started at 14:30 and ended at about 19:00, at 19:30 another session was planned, ending at 21:30. I was there at 19:30, and left at 22:00.

While I was there the Ajahn gave a very interesting Dhamma talk, and mentioned how enthusiastic his Thai supporters are about this new monastery. I believe more than 50 people were there during this second session. And a small delay occurred because the room had to be rearranged to assure everyone had a place to sit.

It was a very happy event for me. For the first time I was in the presence of an ordained monk. His calmness, clear speech and friendliness cause a deep impact in me.

I hope the number of people present at the event is a good indication of the support the monks will have in Portugal. I will support them in any way I can.

Metta
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Rui Sousa,

Sounds great. Thank you for sharing.

:anjali:
Mike
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Sadly I wasn't there. But it's really, really good to know there are many people enthusiastic of this project, and the Theravada in general. :)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Spoke with my friend this morningand he says things are going quite smoothly!
Ajahn Vajiro & Venerable Subadho are learning portugees & not having too much of a culture shock :-)

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Excelent! I haven't visit the monks yet because I'm in Madeira Island and they are in Lisbon. I'll visit them as soon as possible.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Don't worry I warned them you may come, and to pretend to be out that day :P

John Stuart Mill
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

:mrgreen: